Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hammer shaper spindle -help needed

I found a pin spanner that could be bent to size. Good enough to snug the collet. Yes, here are flats for a wrench on the spindle, which is another option. (Whoops, I forgot about that, because I had earlier dismissed using it when I needed pulling so hard on the collet that I risked destroying the threads.) Now, that the collet works as it should, the flats are another option. This problem is solved.

There is a 4-step pulley on the motor and one pulley on the spindle.

I'm settling into my K3 with a handsome built-in router, which is a still a nice setup. The only lingering problem is getting the the router to raise and lower easily. I must be overlooking something or there's grime in the sleeve that will eventually give up after a couple cans of WD40.

I would contact Felder field service with a serial number and see if they"ll supply the parts to convert it to a shaper.

I have never seen one with a router spindle because everyone wanted a shaper, and you had to select the path when you ordered it.....Rod.

Shaper spindle top.PNGRouter spindle top.PNGShaper sleeves and collars.PNGShaper spindle bottom.PNGRouter spindle bottom.PNG
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 03-23-2021 at 8:28 AM.

Looks like the shaper bearings seat directly in the quill, and the router spindle has smaller ones in adapters. Somewhat like the 700 series. Parts still available? But I'm still wondering if the quill and bearings are the same in the new style. So you could switch ... but be stuck with 10k for a router.

I contacted Felder. Replacement parts are available; but, they are $1500.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stelts View Post
    I contacted Felder. Replacement parts are available; but, they are $1500.
    Mike, if it were me I would go with the shaper option.

You'll have a 4 speed tilting spindle shaper with sliding table for $1,500, a bargain. The router isn't even in the same universe as having a shaper.

I presume that with the router spindle option you do not have reverse?

Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    I would be inclined to spend the 1500, since you already have the machine.

That assumes the $1500 includes everything to convert it over to the full shaper build.

Much beyond that and you can find a decent used 130 class shaper (assuming you are open to 3phase)

Thanks for the recommendations. While $1500 is reasonable to obtain a 4.8 Hp, tilting, reversing shaper, with a sliding table, I'm concerned about the spindle installation. This looks like a major undertaking, given the cramped space and the lack of installation or tune-up instructions (which seems to be a Felder theme). I'll get accustomed to my first sliding saw and see if the built-in router table proves useful. (I still have the Delta 3 Hp, 3/4" shaper.) My "fingers-crossed purchase" became a good investment of money and refurbishment time, instead of great. For now, I'm satisfied with "good", and have learned a great deal from the experience.

Yeah, that's a lot of money. But that's not much more than just a spindle for a 900 or Format machine. Even the 700 spindles are ~400 and up. I sure wouldn't want to have to buy a router spindle for mine now.

Reverse is good question, hadn't thought of that. Not a deal killer, but limits your options with some special cutters.