Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Depot online vs. Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have Lowes and Home Depot both nearby. I don't order from any body.

Lowe's here in Cincinnati just installed lockers just like Amazon. You can order on line and pickup at the store. The lockers are right inside the front door. No waiting in line at customer service or waiting for someone to go get your order. Convenient if you still prefer buying from a local store.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

When you shop online, you need to check prices everywhere. Sometimes Costco is cheaper, sometimes HD is cheaper and sometimes Amazon is cheaper. It's like shopping in stores that carry the same or similar products.

2 years ago we had new carpet installed in our living room and in our basement family room. The pile on the new carpet was so deep that neither of the 2 vacuum cleaners we had with automatic compensation for pile depth would work. So I got a new vacuum cleaner first from Amazon, it worked but after using it once or twice it failed and they didn't have that model any longer nor did they have one with manual pile adjustment. I found one very similar to the one we used a time or two before it broke sold at HD. I ordered it, it was cheaper and it didn't fail like the first one did. It was exactly the same as the one from Amazon except different color made by the same company.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I always check multiple places for pricing on stuff I buy except when I need it ASAP then I will usually go with Amazon since I get free Prime through a shared account. For my electrical project the local electrical supply house might have had what I needed, but they don't advertise pricing I only used them for a few items that were hard to find. Home Depot and Menards were out of a lot of electrical stuff this fall and early winter. The electrical supply house was out of most of the same stuff so that didn't help.

Blog Entries
    There are three lumberyards near by my house and if I can't find it at Home Depot or Lowes, I will go to one of them. I do not buy lumber without looking at it.
    Are there no lumber yards near you. The Borg is not really a lumber yard.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    There are three lumberyards near by my house and if I can't find it at Home Depot or Lowes, I will go to one of them. I do not buy lumber without looking at it.
    Are there no lumber yards near you. The Borg is not really a lumber yard.
    Hi Lowell, I'm not sure to whom this was directed, but as the OP I'll reply. My local HD, Menards, and Lowe's do not stock the track saw I purchased online from HD. I agree with you pretty much about lumber. I do like to select my materials and pick and choose to get a good yield and quality unless I'm buying several hundred BF or more.

Oh and BTW, FedX had the track saw, rails and clamps I ordered on my doorstep today, only 2 days after I ordered it. I'm a happy camper.
    Last edited by Jon Grider; 03-20-2021 at 7:40 PM.

For what it's worth. About a month ago I ordered some per-emergent for the yard from Home Depot. It came in but I needed more so I just added it to an Amazon order I was about to place. Both orders arrived within a few days of each other. Both came from the exact same 3rd party supplier.

Shipping times fluctuate so wildly these days. I ordered 7 items from Amazon on Wednesday of last week. At the time, one said it would be delivered today, one tomorrow, two next week, one the week after, and the other two sometime in May. Five of the seven were delivered today. The other two are now showing a delivery time of next week.

Often, if you look closely at the description of an item on Amazon's site, it will say "Shipped and sold by Amazon" or "Sold by ****, fulfilled by Amazon". In these cases, the items are in an Amazon warehouse and you are likely to get them much sooner than one that is "Shipped and sold by ****".

Also, if you buy frequently from Amazon, they will track your purchasing and shopping habits and try to anticipate items you might buy, and stock them in a warehouse close to you. I've had this happen many times, where I purchase an item and get an estimated delivery date of 2 or 3 days, and then receive it the next day. When I look at the shipping label, I see that it came from the Seattle area warehouse, which is the closest one to me.

I've purchased from Home Depot online, but I've always had the item delivered to the store and picked it up. The only exception was the new range we bought last fall. We had them deliver it to us as they offered free delivery (we are about 35 miles away from the nearest store). It worked out great, as we had sold our old range and the people arrived to get it at the same time the delivery crew was here. The crew was great and offered to load the old range into the couple's pickup. They were very thankful, and so were we.