Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Depot online vs. Amazon

Home Depot online vs. Amazon

Amazon would ship the Makita track saw I wanted between April 1 and April 9.

I ordered yesterday 3/18 from Home Depot. Received an email today that It would be delivered to my home on Saturday March 20.

What's with Amazon's lag? Still waiting on some drawer slides I ordered 2 weeks ago from Amazon.

Anyone else experiencing this? Have I been in a deep sleep or something?

It might depend on the backlog of ships at the ports. HD may have had it their warehouse whereas Amazon has it on a ship anchored off the port of LA. I heard on the news a few weeks ago that there were dozens of ships at anchor waiting on a dock with workers.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    ... Anyone else experiencing this? ....
    If you have something, you can ship it. If not... Robin Lee posted about some of challenges LV is having, Restocking Times . Home Depot, because of carrying stock in each of it's stores, might have a bigger reserve than Amazon does. Or, you might have just gotten lucky there with this particular item.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    ... Have I been in a deep sleep or something?
    No comment.

Was it shipped by Amazon, or shipped by a different seller? Did Amazon say it was in stock?

Jon,

I think all 3 of the previous posters have good points to which I agree. I just checked at Amazon. One kit said it was in stock sold by another company and they couldn't ship until May 6th. One in stock, and sold by Amazon said I'd have it in 2 days.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have bought some replacement parts online from HD. I have actually been surprised with how well it has gone, considering how much I dislike shopping there in person. All arrived quickly and as advertised.

I lucked out on my Makita track saw, Acme had it on hand when I was there, so I walked out of the store with it and an additional track and joining kit.
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 03-19-2021 at 11:28 PM.

I have found over the last 6 months that ordering online from HD works well. Free shipping and they get it to you quite promptly.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Camire View Post
    I have found over the last 6 months that ordering online from HD works well. Free shipping and they get it to you quite promptly.
    Plus, if it’s a Milwaukee product, you actually get the warranty. Imagine that. Praise be to the BORG. And they’re more likely to have stuff in stock.

When you order from Amazon (or any other retailer) you have no idea where it is coming from. Many items are sold on Amazon but may be warehoused by the manufacture or a 3rd party.

I have been ordering from Home Depot for a long time now. I order tools needed for work. Can order a single tool like an Allen Wrench and ship to store for free. Even get kitchen pans there.

Something I noticed as of late. Amazon installed lockers at a chain of quick stop stores for merchandise pickup. I have one walking distance from the house. If I have my stuff shipped to the locker, I get it in 2 or 3 days (Not a prime member) Like that option so my stuff don't sit out in the open all day till I get home from work.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 03-19-2021 at 10:40 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Home Depot also ships some items directly from the manufacturer. I ordered a few different items in the past year that came directly from the manufacturer.

Home depot also has very competitive or better prices for alot of things.
    I ordered a food dehydrator from them for 10-20 dollars less then anywhere else.

Interesting, since I posted this yesterday, the delivery date if I had used Amazon (from the Makita store) has been moved up to 3/24 with my free trial of Prime. I use Amazon regularly but somewhat reluctantly, I am glad HD and others Big Box stores provide them with a little competition.

Blog Entries
    I have Lowes and Home Depot both nearby. I don't order from any body.

I have pretty much given up on HD website. The only way to search is from Goggle. Their native search function is backwards. The more limiters I put in the more results I get. If I want a Makita track saw and I put in -dewalt I will get every dewalt item they sell in the results when it should block all dewalt products for me.
    Lowes is not quite that bad but both sites tell me no stores within 100 miles. When There are at least 5-6 in ten miles.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-20-2021 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have Lowes and Home Depot both nearby. I don't order from any body.
    So, if Home Depot or Lowe’s don’t carry the item you want/need you simply don’t buy them? I wouldn’t have been able to build my solar project if I didn’t order stuff online not available at HD/Lowe’s.