Thread: Looking for Drum Sander Cabinet ideas....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking for Drum Sander Cabinet ideas....

I ordered a Supermax 16/32 drum sander with the infeed/outfeed tables. I figured I'd build some kind of rolling cabinet for it, as floor space in my garage/shop comes at a premium. I thought I'd just build it to the same dimensions as the sander (width/depth), sans in/out tables, but i did not take into consideration how the tables fold down. If I want to fold them down, then the design needs to be in the shape of a T..... That seems like a wasted opportunity for more drawers, more storage space...... I guess another option is to leave the folding tables off, and just use them whenever I actually need them. Not sure how much of a headache that might be though. Or build it as wide as the machine with tables, but that's a lot of floor space.

I have two 24" DT jigs that I'd like to find a home for on this too, well maybe..... One is the 90 pound PC jig and the other is a D4Pro. The PC needs about 34" of space. I'm thinking I might be able to make a couple wide drawers, back to back. Not sure about that idea though. I haven't had much luck with wide drawers and slides.

So many dumb questions for a simple cabinet. I know I'm overthinking this.......

Before I get too committed in this shop furniture project, I thought I'd ask the Creekers what they might have done? I did find a thread at another wood working site where a fella built a pretty cool cabinet that had drawers that were on one end, and an opposing side, 90 deg opposed from each other.

I pick up the sander next week. I buy my wood from the same place, so I'll grab whatever supplies I need to build the cabinet when I get the sander. I'm thinking I'll use 3/4 ply. They sell the 4X8 Russian birch and the 5X5 BB stuff. I have a canopy on the truck, so the 4X8 stuff is generally what I use. Trying to get the 5X5 stuff in the truck with the canopy is a PITA.

Michael, are you planning on incorporating the sander stand assembly into your build? I've seen some on the internet in the past where people used them and just built the box around it. The box was at an angle just as the angled braces are, and they had doors on one I saw and the other had drawers that had angled fronts to match the angle of the machines stand. Looked pretty sharp. I have the 19/38 and thought about doing one, but haven't got around to it yet.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I don't think so.... I did see a few of those stand modifications, but opted to not go that route. Pretty innovative idea though.

I may end up using the metal stand that comes with the sander for my chop saw. I have a 12" compound slider that I have bolted to a flip top cabinet I built. It's not working out all that great in that cabinet.....

I had my 19-38 on the OEM stand and it rolled around horribly, had mind of its own as to where it wanted to go.

I built a simple cabinet, on casters and it moves much easier now, plus it has nice storage.

I put my 19-38 on a cabinet on casters too, but my cabinet is made from 3/4" CDX ply and has doors made from scrap MDF, so it is very ugly unlike ChrisA Edwards' very pretty maple drawer fronts. I think having it on a cabinet is much more space efficient than the stand, and I made the cabinet higher so I can use the sander without having to bend over. I have never felt the need for extension tables and didn't buy them, but maybe for your use they will be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I had my 19-38 on the OEM stand and it rolled around horribly, had mind of its own as to where it wanted to go.

I built a simple cabinet, on casters and it moves much easier now, plus it has nice storage.

Daaaannngggg..... That's a nice looking piece of shop furniture. Nicer than I had in mind, but I do like to build my stuff to last. What did you use for drawer glides?

I was not sure if I'd actually need the tables or not, but figured I'd just get them when I ordered the machine. I suppose I should just use the machine a few times, get a feel for what to do with them.

I am leaning towards making something like this one: https://www.woodtalkonline.com/topic...-stand/page/5/

Blog Entries
    Here's what I did. Smaller than the sander footprint by a smidge.

19-38-stand(24).jpg19-38-stand(25).jpgBelt Storage (3).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Curious to see what you come up with or what others have done. I have the 19/38 with tables on their angled mobile base and was looking to build something for mine. I have to keep mine mobile as I don't have the space to keep it open all the time. Well I could, but... I was thinking something angled to match so I could fold down the table extensions.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

In my last workshop, I made a butcher block pull out slide for mine. So it could store against the wall when not in use, and pull out when I needed it.
    Pull Out Drum Sander.jpg

So the cabinet was my tool cart.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I built a cabinet last weekend. Over built it with Russian Birch. Dado, Domino and pocket screws were used to join the sheet goods. I was determined to have a couple drawers large enough to hold my two 24" DT jigs, so the cabinet was build around the drawer size I'd need for them. Ended up being 40X24. I wanted the drawers on the bottom, so I could get to them with the drum sander in/out tables attached. So that 'want' drove the rest of the cabinet design, and wanting it to be pretty solid without flex, as it was going to be on casters. Nothing's ever easy......

For drawers, do y'all think 1/2" BB would be adequate for the front/rear/sides? I had planned to use 3/4, but I got carried away with the case and used too much. I only have 1/2 and 1/4 left over, and the shop I get this stuff from is a 300 mile drive (one way).

I was not planning to trim this, cause it's just shop furniture, but couldn't help myself and made some oak trim.

Looking good, can't wait to see it all filled up.

Forgot to post finished pics. The two opposing drawers are for my DT jigs. They actually drove the cabinet dimension. Looks like I can fit all my sanders, paper and grinders in this cabinet. And It's big enough to fit a larger machine if I want to go bigger down the road..... I used birch 4/4 for the drawer fronts and 1/2" BB for the drawer sides and 1/4" BB for the bottoms. All glued and dominos for joining the sides. I probably will not EVER build drawers like that again. Plenty strong, but what a PITA.... The 1/2" just moves too much, and gluing the bottoms around all four sides made assembly difficult. I even used TB3 to give me more time, but that stuff made the plywood swell so much, every drawer was a fight. At least I learned a few things.....

Looks great. I, too, built drawers like that once. Never again for me. What a pain

For those bottom drawers on opposite sides you might have built them as a single box with no slides. That would work well and you could access both compartments from one side, should you ever push the cabinet up against a wall or other obstruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    For those bottom drawers on opposite sides you might have built them as a single box with no slides. That would work well and you could access both compartments from one side, should you ever push the cabinet up against a wall or other obstruction.
    I did consider that. I guess I just didn't want to be reaching over one jig to get access to the other. I've been dealing with a disk problem lately (back), so I tend to think about bending/reaching anymore......