Thread: A "Look what followed me home" thread....

A "Look what followed me home" thread....

I will never be an absolute Neander but I do feel I can use hand tools to elevate the quality of the projects from my shop.

I ordered some chisels in January but the reality is that Covid 19, has disrupted the supply lines for all retailors of woodworking tools as reported recently by Rob Lee in a post on a thread I started in the Neander forum about chisels. Rob was kind enough to respond to my thread about my order of some Narex Richter chisels that June is the earliest LV may see some inventory from them and if you check LV's website some of the chisels show maybe August. LN's website shows some tools not available until later this year. While I always try to buy the best quality of tools I can afford, as an amateur hobbyist student woodworker, retired on a fixed income, I must live within a budget for my tools.

I have also been in the market for some hand planes. At least 3 different respected craftsmen woodworking writers recommend a block plane, a #4 smoother and a shoulder plane as a minimum starting kit with the later addition of a jointer.

Being remote, I often order stuff online but hate to do that with hand tools as I want to feel the tool's fit to my extremely large hands.

The nearest woodworking supply is a WoodCraft store in Spokane Washington that closed due to the owner's failing health and recently reopened under a new owner. Yesterday, I cancelled my chisel order with Lee Valley. Then my wife and I drove to Spokane. I decided to try the Wood River socket 4 bench chisel set and then my wife got involved. She knew I had been reading a lot about hand planes lately and wanted to know what I needed. I told her I already have a Wood River low angle block plane that I like. In the not too distant future, I wanted to add a #4 smoother, a shoulder plane and eventually a #7 or #8 jointer. My wife asked how much it would cost. She told me to get the chisels, the #4 smoother and the #92 medium shoulder plane. I told her I could wait on one of those 2 planes but she insisted. The new store's general manager was waiting on me and as he pulled the new planes out of the locked cabinet he asked my wife if she had a sister who was single. I now own the chisels and with the addition of the 2 new planes, 3 Wood River planes.

I have some things take to the dump and some cleanup to do around the house this morning and then it's to the shop to sharpen and tune the new tools.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-19-2021 at 4:55 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Now days it is quite enjoyable to live vicariously through the telling of another's shopping adventure.

My last hunting venture was rewarded with a draw knife.

Enjoy your new tools, let us see some images of them and what they do.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ken, you’re living right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post

The new store's general manager was waiting on me and as he pulled the new planes out of the locked cabinet he asked my wife if she had a sister who was single. I now own the chisels and with the addition of the 2 new planes, 3 Wood River planes.
    You better watch out.
    Mrs. Ken will put on lipstick next time you want to shop.

Thank you for sharing your experience. My wife will surprise me like that sometimes, but never to that extent.
    Tom

Ken, you made a killing yesterday. And a weekend in front of you to play with your new toys!

Ken,

Congrats of the tools, your wife has given you a wonderful gift.

My wife has done a similar thing a few years ago.

It was a wonderful day.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    You better watch out.
    Mrs. Ken will put on lipstick next time you want to shop.

Jim,
    This photo of us is one of my favorites. It was taken on Labor Day 1970 while I was attending a US Navy school in Brunswick, GA. We had been married about 20 months at the time. When I look at this photo I often wonder were we really ever that young. Of course we have "aged" a bit since then!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken

J When I look at this photo I often wonder were we really ever that young. Of course we have "aged" a bit since then!
    Ken, I blame Einstein and his nutty time alterations. He should never have been allowed to watch the “Twilight Zone” !
    You can easily smile in your photographs... so you must be HAPPY! Hold onto it, Pal !

I was in my local Woodcraft with my late wife. The store had a Oneway 1224 and I was drooling over it. I told my wife that I was going get one like it. The next thing I knew, she went to the counter and threw down some plastic. It went home with us. It is still my favorite lathe.
    Joe

You suffer the same burden I carry.
    My wife is *much* better looking than I.

Days are long, years are brief.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    You suffer the same burden I carry.
    My wife is *much* better looking than I.

Days are long, years are brief.
    Yes!

And with regards to woodworking, so much to learn, so little time left!
    Ken

I will never be an absolute Neander but I do feel I can use hand tools to elevate the quality of the projects from my shop.

I ordered some chisels in January but the reality is that Covid 19, has disrupted the supply lines for all retailors of woodworking tools as reported recently by Rob Lee in a post on a thread I started in the Neander forum about chisels. Rob was kind enough to respond to my thread about my order of some Narex Richter chisels that June is the earliest LV may see some inventory from them and if you check LV's website some of the chisels show maybe August.
    Ken, just FYI, I ordered some Richter chisels from Taylor Toolworks in Jan and they were shipped right out. I just looked and it seems they still have 'em.

- Leo

Great story Ken...thanks for sharing and congrats on the terrific catch, and I'm not talking about your new tools!!!
    A wannabe woodworker!

These 2 items followed me home today....can I keep them?
    March Rust Hunt, troghies.JPG
    Counting tax....$21.45....
    March Rust Hunt, logo view.JPG
    Inside Caliper..$2...
    March Rust Hunt, rear deck.JPG
    Sargent, made for Sears Craftsman Jack plane..
    March Rust Hunt, tag sale.JPG
    Smooth sole. Might need a little clean up?
    March Rust Hunt, froggy face.JPG

Hmmm..