Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Bench

It's a handsome piece.

If you can get a matching grain sample, inlay the "k".
    Stella has a lovely obituary.

"Love" was the last thing she said.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful material and design. The "fix" would have never been noticed. It looks great!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Without revealing a change had been made, I had my wife carefully look at the lettering. She is good at penmanship. She could not notice any "mistakes". Perhaps after being alerted to a "problem", it then becomes a problem.

John, that’s a beautiful piece and a beautiful tribute to her life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Without revealing a change had been made, I had my wife carefully look at the lettering. She is good at penmanship. She could not notice any "mistakes". Perhaps after being alerted to a "problem", it then becomes a problem.
    ^^ This...................
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John - well done and very nice "save". AS Mark said, if you had not told me about the fix I would not have noticed it. I might have thought "what a cool k" but that's about it. We don't know what we don't know.

One of those projects where the whole is significantly more than the sum of the parts. Well done.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I think the larger K goes really well with the entire name. It sort of ties the name all together. You did a great save there John. And the rest of the bench looks fabulous too.
    Carving the rest of the k does not look like something I would like, or try doing. Heck of a job.

Very nice piece. I can imagine that most who are familiar with the name will readily see the 'k' at the end. Their eyeballs may not even get to the 'k' before they picture the complete name in their minds.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    I had a couple of people look at it, too, without telling them anything was suspect. Like your wife, neither saw anything unusual. It was only the lady who asked me to build it that first objected, but when she came to look at it she was perfectly happy with how it looked.

For those who thought it was a great feat to modify it, it was not. I drew the upper part of the "k" directly on the wood with a pencil and straightedge. The router bit the CNC guy used had a 45 deg cutting angle. All I did was hold a chisel of the right width for the diagonal and top along each edge of the pencil line at 45 deg and give it a gentle tap with a mallet. Four cuts and it was done. A gentle poke with an Exacto knife at the ends of the top cut freed that chip. Then I painted in the black with a fine tipped artist's brush.

If you have ever worked with red mulberry you will know that it's a pretty bright yellow when first cut, but gradually turns into a sort of chestnut brown color. It was part way in that transition when she picked it up and probably will be completely morphed by the end of Summer.

John

Wow, that is beautiful. It makes me want to make one like it to surprise my wife.

I have a bunch of Ash, that has been drying for years, waiting for the right project. Do you think it will hold up on a covered porch? It would get some direct sun, but no rain.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Wow, that is beautiful. It makes me want to make one like it to surprise my wife.

I have a bunch of Ash, that has been drying for years, waiting for the right project. Do you think it will hold up on a covered porch? It would get some direct sun, but no rain.
    You could use almost any wood as long as it stays dry. Don't put ash out in the weather, though.

John

Thanks John, I have been trying to decide what to make with this ash for about 5 years. Got it in an estate sale, and it had been sitting for a long time.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thanks John, I have been trying to decide what to make with this ash for about 5 years. Got it in an estate sale, and it had been sitting for a long time.
    Rick, if you use SketchUp I'd be happy to send you the model.

John

Thank you John, but in honesty, I wouldn't know what to do with it. I have heard of SketchUp, but never even seen it. I am lucky to text on my phone. It takes me an hour to put a simple pic on the Creek.

A generous offer, but unfortunately pearls before swine. All my sketches are on notebook paper. I usually build things off photo's. Like it says below, Journeyman DIY.

Rick P
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thank you John, but in honesty, I wouldn't know what to do with it. I have heard of SketchUp, but never even seen it. I am lucky to text on my phone. It takes me an hour to put a simple pic on the Creek.

A generous offer, but unfortunately pearls before swine. All my sketches are on notebook paper. I usually build things off photo's. Like it says below, Journeyman DIY.

Rick P

Rick, how about Adobe Acrobat PDF files? I could print the front, side, and top views of the bench to that file format and send them to you. We can make it work one way or the other.

John