Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite furniture style?

Blog Entries

Your favorite furniture style?

Just curious. What is your favorite furniture style. I like Craftsman/Mission Style. I have never made any Greene&Greene, but I also like that.

Thanks to Jim Becker for mentioning "Shaker" style. I forgot to include that in my post.
    Last edited by Von Bickley; 03-19-2021 at 6:50 PM.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I'm an Arts and Crafts/Mission/Craftsman fan and that's generally the style I work in. My bride and I are very fond of Stickley, Limbert, and the related makers. Greene and Greene is a favorite too
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I'm kind fond of a mixture of Shaker (Thos Moser) and Nakashima. Blending of Shaker, Asian and Craftsman works for me, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I admire many styles but love the clean lines and functional form of well done MCM. Derek Cohen is one of my heroes here on SMC. His work in extremely hard woods and hand cut joinery is almost as jaw dropping as a view from the South Rim of the Grand Canyon to me.

I've always like the Queen Anne style. The furniture made by our ancestors pre-American revolution is pretty amazing.

Look at the work of the Townsends and Goddards of Newport RI, for example.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-19-2021 at 4:04 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I like most well done stuff but have a special fondness for campaign (easy on the brass though.)

Similar to some above, I prefer Stickley/Mission, Greene & Greene and Shaker, although I can appreciate most any style that is executed well. However I do tend to struggle with mid-century modern even though it is really popular in some areas. Our dining room set that we inherited from my wife's grandmother 30 years ago is mid-century modern. I really want to make a new set in a different style, but keeping peace in the family prohibits this!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    I like most well done stuff but have a special fondness for campaign (easy on the brass though.)
    A while back, I picked up a copy of "British Campaign Furniture: Elegance under Canvas 1740 -1914". Has pictures of some interesting campaign furniture. Recommended.

ISBN 0-8109-5711-6

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Colonial and Shaker.

Sturdy and Comfortable are my favorite styles, personally.

My wife loves Queen Anne style.... so that is what I had to learn to make... I now like it also..

Shaker and Craftsman. I like some of the Cabin rustic but I have never made any.
    Charlie Jones

The two families that Mike mentioned led me to this $12 million desk made by one of them.
    https://www.newenglandhistoricalsoci...rd-died-broke/

thats encouraging. 70 million for a 62 Ferrarri GTO and huge for paintings. Nice to see some furniture also in the stratosphere.

Federal style is my current favorite. And on the other spectrum I like organic/rustic designs as well.