Thread: Slow speed gear option on 4 post 20” planer

Slow speed gear option on 4 post 20” planer

I have a jet 20” planer that I put a helical head in a few years ago. I still get some tearout whenever the grain goes nutty like near a knot. Really not too different than my straight knife DJ-20.

I know Jet used to sell a reduction gear that would allow you to make the planer feed slower.

Has anyone installed this?
    if so did you notice much difference?
    Bob C

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    I have a jet 20” planer that I put a helical head in a few years ago. I still get some tearout whenever the grain goes nutty like near a knot. Really not too different than my straight knife DJ-20.

I know Jet used to sell a reduction gear that would allow you to make the planer feed slower.

Has anyone installed this?
    if so did you notice much difference?

Doesn't your planer already have a two speed gear box?

Yes but jet sells a different gear and chain as an add on kit to modify both speeds downward
    Bob C

I think it comes standard on the Powermatic 209 planer. Maybe asking if anyone with one has swapped the gears/ chain out for their opinion.

I have a Powermatic 209HH. I changed the sprocket and cha. It made quite a difference on Birdseye maple for eye tear out.

I bought it used but the owner had the high speed sprocket installed. It came with the smaller drive sprocket and shorter chain. I will let you know later today the differences in the parts.

Thanks Matt
    Bob C

Just pulled the cover off the drive. The high speed sprocket is 18 tooth. The chain is 53 pitches (number of spaces between rollers)

The low speed sprocket is 12 tooth. The chain is 50 pitches (number of spaces between rollers.)

I have the 12 tooth on so the low speed is 16 FPM and the high speed is 20 FPM. I think the high speed sprocket is 24 and 31 FPM.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Thanks Rich. If I do the replacement I’ll need to do some comparisons on the same piece of wood to see if I can tell a difference.
    Bob C

I suspect that the gears/ chain can be installed in most 4 post planers. It would be nice to see real world results to determine if they are worth buying.

Mine came with the extra sprocket and chain. Where I notice the difference is birdseye maple when I made the toy box for my grandkids. There no eye tear out. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take pictures of the boards before I changed the sprocket and chain.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author