Thread: Accessories for Cross Cut Sleds

Accessories for Cross Cut Sleds

I've been using crosscut sleds for many years but never bothered with fancy stuff like flip stops. As I had to make new sleds for new saw, decided to give accessories a try, and found they are helpful.

I made the fence height the same on both of my sleds so that same accessories could be used on both sleds.

The accessories I made are shown in photos.
    There is a video as well but the photos tell the story:

1. Flip up stop blocks with magnets to hold the blocks up and magnets to hold the blocks down.
    2. Bolt on fence extensions so that the stop blocks can be used for cutting pieces longer than the crosscut sled.
    3. A sliding stop for cutting pieces too small to hold or clamp.

I am interested in other sled accessories that you have found helpful.

Video: https://youtu.be/QhJCVaw-jXA

Extension and Flip Blocks.jpg

Flip Stop.jpg

Slide Stop.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steven Woodward; 03-18-2021 at 5:50 PM. Reason: format

Personally, I wouldn't do without the kreg top track with scale and the stops made to work with it. I took care to calibrate the scale precisely (which is easy to do) and now I never have to measure anything within the range of the sled. Set the stop, flip the stop up, square one end of the stock letting it run long, flip the stop down, flip the stock and slide it against the stop, and cut to precise length.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Saw this video a couple days ago. As Sgt Schultz said "Very interesting!"

Nice video. Succinct, and to the point. You have a new subscriber.

Since you asked, I have several jigs and fences for various tools, and simply cut a 'T' slot in them, with a few exceptions where I used some 'T' slot aluminum because I had it.

I TRY to make them all the same as far as height and slot height, because I can use various stops etc. on several fences . For example, my drill press and RAS take the same accessories. I make most of my fences from melamine covered particle board, and make several long sections of fence pre slotted to have on hand when I need a quick one for a miter gage or whatever.

Sometimes I have to make taller ones, say for a new face for a box joint jig or whatever.

Another thing that is nice to have for a RAS or chop saw is an inside and an outside 45 degree stop.

All my slots are in the face of the fence, not on the top. I use a simple T bolt with knob, and the stop rides on the top of the fence using a simple glued on piece of hardboard that controls the height. That is why they are mostly interchangeable.

You have some great ideas. I especially like your video about the PC dovetail jig.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 03-24-2021 at 3:25 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.