Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Room for my lathe

Room for my lathe

I have recently( last couple of years) gotten more into some turning in conjunction with flatwork. About 2-3 years ago I bought a Laguna 1836 on mobile base so I could roll it out on a nice, non rainy day and keep all the dust, etc. outside of the shop. That has worked well, except as I am using the lathe more now( and getting older, 71), and I learn more about turning, the weather(rain/cold) seems to happen quite often.
    So, I am about to build(contract) an addition to the shop for the lathe. Probably ~250-275 sq ft. I am trying to think of particulars as I go so I won't regret leaving out a good idea. Any suggestions that I should think about in terms of layout of the room. I am planning to have the lathe along a wall that is in close proximity to a door so I can blow some shavings( not the resin ones) out easily . Planning a window in front of the lathe so the view outside is pleasant and plenty of light. My dust collector(Oneida whole shop unit) is in a closet just on the other side of an adjoining wall ( 12' from where lathe will be positioned) so I am hopeful that I can tap through that wall and run a drop around the ceiling to the lathe. Any suggestions on size of ductwork? I was thinking 6" or even 8" because it is so close ductwork cost would be minimal .
    Suggestions on lathe tool location (gouges, carbide tips, chuck jaws, etc.) would be helpful.....what has worked for you? I am planning to move the sharpening table to this room.
    I have a lot of mobile tables, etc. in my shop so I like to have that option when possible.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I fall into the vortex a little further. I still do flatwork and will continue to do so, but turning is very enjoyable and relaxing.

Thanks,
    Jim

On dust collection, as big a duct as possible- if your cyclone inlet is 8" then bring an 8" drop to the lathe.

I like to have access to the back side of the lathe, so mine is about 30" from the back wall. My tools are on a rack near the tailstock- having to reach over the lathe to grab a tool is a potential hazard. I set up an overhead trolley so I can pick up a heavy piece with a chain hoist and move it in two axes for mounting, but if you can arrange enough room at one end you could have a simpler setup with one overhead track centered on the lathe ways. I have some tools on the back wall and a rolling chest of drawers for abrasives, chucks and various small items, which is usually covered with the tools in use and a step away from the lathe. Sharpening station is on the back wall to the left of the headstock. The bandsaw is close by, and I have an edge sander near the right end on which I set my tailstock when needed.

Compressed air at the lathe. Plenty of overhead lighting. A floor sweep on the dust collector. Room for a vacuum chuck. Leave space for turning off the end of the lathe if you have a sliding head. Plenty of 110V AC outlets for other tools. Storage storage storage & dispensers for sandpaper and towels.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    On dust collection, as big a duct as possible- if your cyclone inlet is 8" then bring an 8" drop to the lathe.

I like to have access to the back side of the lathe, so mine is about 30" from the back wall. My tools are on a rack near the tailstock- having to reach over the lathe to grab a tool is a potential hazard. I set up an overhead trolley so I can pick up a heavy piece with a chain hoist and move it in two axes for mounting, but if you can arrange enough room at one end you could have a simpler setup with one overhead track centered on the lathe ways. I have some tools on the back wall and a rolling chest of drawers for abrasives, chucks and various small items, which is usually covered with the tools in use and a step away from the lathe. Sharpening station is on the back wall to the left of the headstock. The bandsaw is close by, and I have an edge sander near the right end on which I set my tailstock when needed.
    Yeah, I assumed that I should go as large as possible on ductwork. Good idea to leave some room on the backside of the lathe.
    The rolling chest/cart sounds like a good suggestion for tools/abrasives, etc.
    Thanks for the suggestions....it keeps me thinking about what would work best.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    Compressed air at the lathe. Plenty of overhead lighting. A floor sweep on the dust collector. Room for a vacuum chuck. Leave space for turning off the end of the lathe if you have a sliding head. Plenty of 110V AC outlets for other tools. Storage storage storage & dispensers for sandpaper and towels.
    I have a small mobile compressor that I have been using with the lathe...planning to use that although the noise could be irritating inside the room. Lighting I am definitely doing as my eyesight needs more the past few years.
    Room for a vacuum chuck is something that I had not thought about.....how much space does that require, generally? I haven't moved the headstock to turn off the end but that may become a possibility.....will plan for that.
    Floor sweep sounds good but do you sweep large piles of large shavings directly into your floor sweep?

Thanks for ideas.
    Jim

I personnaly wouldnt keep the DC to close, close enough to pick up fines/medium at most. My DC has a 40 gallon can on it and depending on what im doing it fills fast. Im not a huge turner but from what ive seen people get in the zone, and chips definitely fly when turning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    I have a small mobile compressor that I have been using with the lathe...planning to use that although the noise could be irritating inside the room. Lighting I am definitely doing as my eyesight needs more the past few years.
    Room for a vacuum chuck is something that I had not thought about.....how much space does that require, generally? I haven't moved the headstock to turn off the end but that may become a possibility.....will plan for that.
    Floor sweep sounds good but do you sweep large piles of large shavings directly into your floor sweep?

Thanks for ideas.
    Jim
    I would want to acoustically isolate the dust collector and the compressor just so I wouldn't have to wear hearing protection and could listen to radio/tv/cutting while turning. That would mean plumbing air to your lathe.

As for as sweep, I don't have one but want one. I use a wand right now, but think a sweep would be easiest to get up the bulk of the shavings rather than picking up by hand or with a wand. I'd probably do it more frequently too, at least the bulk of it. And yes, just sweep in front of opening and it is sucked up. A powerful vacuum will probably also dust your shoes

I'm not a fan of having a grinder too close due to the dirtiness of metal dust. Mine is 3 steps behind me, across the room in an "isolated" area away from all other woodworking stations. Others have it right there beside them. I'm just not disciplined enough to keep from spreading the black iron dust onto projects. Though I could have it just 1 or 2 steps back behind me.......maybe in my next shop.

A vacuum pump is about the same size as a 2HP induction motor. Mine is mounted on a shelf attached to the outside of the left leg of the lathe, under the motor. Mine uses space that is otherwise wasted. Others just store it and pull it out when in use. There are also venturi vacuums that use your air compressor. These are smaller, like cigar box size and don't require AC power. I've seen vacuum pumps suspended from the ceiling on a shelf above the headstock. That is a good design, especially with taller ceilings. Pump stays cleaner there and isn't where you'd hit your head on it.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 03-19-2021 at 12:44 PM.

My dust collector catches the worst of the dust, especially from sanding, but the great bulk of shavings wind up on the floor. Most of that volume is from green wood and not wanted by the dairy farm where I take my dry shavings so it winds up "over the bank" in the wooded ravine near my shop. I would be buried without my aluminum grain scoop/snow shovel and a 30 gallon drum to keep the floor clear.

I prefer to use a grain scoop to get the shavings, esp. if it is green turning, rather than use the dust collector. You can isolate your compressor if that is easy, but you can also buy a quiet compressor. I have a Rolair that is quiet enough to listen to music over.

Thanks Tom for suggestions. I think I will have enough room for a vacuum at the end when I hopefully get to that stage.
    I do like the suggestion of running air to this room from my compressor. It is only on the inherent side of a wall and would require a long run to get there. Although my little mobile California Air Tools compressor is pretty quiet, I would prefer to leave it in the garage for other uses.
    The Dust collection is going to be connected to the whole shop Oneida cyclone which thankfully is also on the other side of the wall in a closet so that will save a footprint of a separate mobile dust collection unit and save some noise.
    I wanted to ask what others do for collecting/gathering filings/metal dust from grinders(CBN wheels).? I do think I will put it on opposite side of room but want it near a window for extra light during the day.

Yeah, I'm planning to mostly use Dust collection for dust while sanding, although if it catches a few chips all the better. I have a aluminum grain shovel that I have been using outside ....especially for any resin shavings.

Thanks JOB
    n,
    The grain shovel is a holdover I have from when we first moved to NC 33 years ago and I had to deal with winter snows. It comes in handy now for shavings......the snow, I just wait for it to melt!
    I hope to resolve the air issue by running some lines from the main shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    I wanted to ask what others do for collecting/gathering filings/metal dust from grinders(CBN wheels).? I do think I will put it on opposite side of room but want it near a window for extra light during the day.
    I keep a couple of strong magnets in a ziplock baggy under the back of each wheel. These collect a lot of the dust. You can then just pick them up and wipe into the trash. But I put mine in the vegetable garden beds for the iron. The rest I vacuum with a shop vac, but not as often as I should.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I keep a couple of strong magnets in a ziplock baggy under the back of each wheel. These collect a lot of the dust. You can then just pick them up and wipe into the trash. But I put mine in the vegetable garden beds for the iron. The rest I vacuum with a shop vac, but not as often as I should.
    Good idea! I've done that when filing something by hand but didn't think about it for this larger scale. I'll definitely use this.
    Jim

For me the wall space is so valuable, even more than the window. Perhaps put a window on a different wall or put in a good quality skylight. We have 6 skylights in our house and they are wonderful for light - except at night! I designed my shop with seven windows then cut that to three to preserve the wall space. I use incredibly good lights throughout the shop which make it as bright as a sunny day even at night and on dreary days.

I have a "turning alcove" in my shop, 12' wide by 8' deep, big enough to have two lathes, a work bench, and almost everything I use for turning. On pleasant days I can open the double doors. I originally had my sharpening station in the alcove but I moved out when I decided to add the second lathe. The alcove has a drill press but the bandsaw and sharpening station are close. My philosophy is to keep all the things I use the most as close as possible.

shop_floorplan_lathe_space2.jpg

WVR_IMG_5458.jpg

I like my lathes near a wall so I can keep the things I use the most within arm's reach when standing at the lathe. I built an extra wall extending out into the shop just to have the extra wall space.

Besides tool rests and often-used calipers and such the wall has two very useful small shelves, one with a plywood "skirt" which not only hides wiring for task lights but give me a place to mount magnets to hold a variety of things like vernier calipers, rulers, and pencils. The wall also holds a rolls of sandpaper, paper towels, and little bins for very fine sandpaper.

lathe_PM_cu2_IMG_5751.jpg

I have a workbench immediately behind me with two shelves, three shallow drawers for unhandled tools, and a built-in tool rack for longer handled lathe tools. As small roll-around cabinet with three drawers is next to the workbench. Within three steps to the right I keep a mechanic's toolbox for smaller tools like card scrapers, diamond hones, vernier calipers, center drills, small saws, etc, this on a wooden stand with tools positioned horizontally (points out for quick identification). The whole thing sits on a metal cabinet with some solvents and drawers for chucks and other smaller tools. There is enough room in the cabinet drawers for 20 chucks, extra jaws, spare respirators, and some other supplies.

A rack on the wall holds the tools I use the most, arranged so I can see each one easily. A built-in shelf unit holds finishes, sandpaper, and other things. A floor-to-ceiling cabinet with doors on the opposite corner of the alcove keeps many things I don't access as often.

I mounted high shelves all the way around the alcove to hold things I want to keep near but don't use much, and for all aerosol cans. I use a folding step stool to reach these shelves and a long-reach grabber to access the rattle-can finishes.

The bottom line is almost everything I use is within arm's reach or a few steps away.

Having the lathes next to the walls isn't for everyone but it works extremely well for the things I like to turn the most.

lathe_PM2_Jan17_IMG_5751.jpg

My dust collector and big air compressor is in a sound-insulated closet on the other end of the main wood shop with remote controls to turn it on and off. This makes it so quiet two can carry on conversations comfortably.

shop_floorplan_cyclone.jpg

JKJ