Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Room for my lathe

Thanks for the info John. I really appreciate the pictures as I am a visual learner.....I can read some explanation of something and have a visual that is not what was intended. Couple of questions. I'm thinking about using one of those rotating displays like you see in stores and rigging up a solid way of putting my lathe tools(gouges, scrapers, carbides, etc.) on it so I can have them at hand but can also move them around when needed. Any pros and cons to that idea? I also notice that you store your tools horizontally on the wall.....any particular reason of just personal preference?
    I'm definitely considering combining windows so that I have more wall space ....but enough window space. I love the skylight idea but the screen porch addition will be above that portion of shop roof. Maybe some transom type windows would add light and only take up a little "High Wall Space".
    I'm really trying to plan this as much as possible so I don't have many regrets later.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Thanks for the info John. I really appreciate the pictures as I am a visual learner.....I can read some explanation of something and have a visual that is not what was intended. Couple of questions. I'm thinking about using one of those rotating displays like you see in stores and rigging up a solid way of putting my lathe tools(gouges, scrapers, carbides, etc.) on it so I can have them at hand but can also move them around when needed. Any pros and cons to that idea? I also notice that you store your tools horizontally on the wall.....any particular reason of just personal preference?
    I'm definitely considering combining windows so that I have more wall space ....but enough window space. I love the skylight idea but the screen porch addition will be above that portion of shop roof. Maybe some transom type windows would add light and only take up a little "High Wall Space".
    I'm really trying to plan this as much as possible so I don't have many regrets later.
    Jim
    I heartily support extensive preplanning! You should see my huge notebook with sketches of evolving plans before I even put up the walls on my shop! As for light at the lathe, I find a huge advantage to using multiple adjustable task lights with small sources instead of overall even lighting such as from a ceiling full of fluorescent or LED fixtures. Light from smaller sources make it easier to see to evaluate the complex curves of a piece and much easier to see scratches and turning defects.

The rotating tool storage (or any type of tool rack on the floor) would trade floor space for wall space.
    The usefulness of a specific tool storage solution may depend on the kinds of things you like to turn, how you like to work, and how many tools you end up with. (if there is an end)

I like ways of holding tools so I can see the working ends of the tool. For example, I keep 7 or 8 skews ready for use. If I stored them in a rack with the points hidden I'd have to guess which was which or code/mark the handles somehow. The horizontal tool placement lets me see the whole tool at once so I can instantly grab the right one. I can't hunt for a specific handle since I keep a number of tools in replaceable handles. Here again, if I can see the entire tool, I know what it is before reaching.

I don't have enough wall space to display all tools at once, so I store certain tools on shallow shelves with the handle towards the back and the "pointy end" towards me. This way I see at a glance which tool is which. (Some people say "you can't do that, you'll stab your hand" but I say he who runs hand into sharp point of tool should trade turning for basket weaving )

I keep many tools without handles in one of the shallow drawers in the workbench just behind me, basically most of the Hunter and Thompson tools that are not currently in a handle. This may look like a mess but I can quickly find what I want and put it in a handle in a few seconds.. Some of these are spares, for example I keep multiple 3/8" spindle gouges with identical grinds and when one gets dull I replace it with a sharp one from the drawer and set the dull one aside then sharpen them all at once. This way the turning is not interrupted. (all the working edges are protected with plastic tubing)

tool_drawer_unhandled.jpg tool_protectors_five.jpg tool_protectors_Hunter.jpg

Also, I've posted this before but I make the inserts to hold tools from aluminum, brass, or steel. I usually use the metal-cutting lathe but have made some on the wood lathe (with standard woodturning tools).

inserts_IMG_7933.jpg handle_adapters.jpg Handle_adapters_roughing2_IMG_6006.jpg

This method REALLY cuts down on the space I need to store tools.

finished_IMG_20150420_15371.jpg

(If it looks like I have too many tools, I might. But it doesn't seem so many with 3 or 4 people turning at once!)

JKJ

Thanks John for all the suggestions...... they really get me thinking in many directions .I agree with your statement about trading wall space for floor space. This rotating floor display stand is already using a footprint in my regular shop space so I am gaining/trading space in a sense. I like the way you have tools mounted horizontally and agree about being able to see the whole tool and find the right one quickly/efficiently. I may do some of that but use the rolling/rotating display for the ones the are in use on a given project. I have used the clear vinyl tubing for the same purpose on some chip carving tools. That might be useful on the lathe tools also.
    As for light. you can be assured that I am going to have it bright and several task lights also....I find my eyes need much more "brightness" to clearly see what I am working on or measuring or centering a hole, etc.

Thanks again for the help,
    Jim

We have a very accomplished turner in our club who’s shop is in what once may have been a carriage house. It’s a really nice setting. He has his lathe in front of a window that looks out onto his beautiful yard. One day, several years ago, a piece came off his lathe. Fortunately, it did not come off toward him. It went through the window! The window replacement involved removing trim and siding from his beautiful little building to install a new window. So you might want to reconsider a window in line with your headstock! 😉
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Jim this is my lathe setup. I have a large pole barn, but the lathe occupies a 8’ X 8’ area. I have everything within reach. My grinders are next to the lathe along a wall. Excuse the mess as I keep forgetting to take a picture when clean.

4B37C717-DC49-4E77-A95B-DDA3F7AB067C_1_201_a.jpg 623D6372-F48F-4767-8209-701009ED7299_1_201_a.jpg
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Like you Jim flatwork was my gateway to turning. This is the turning corner of my shop. Wall space is at a premium, so the rolling chest was necessary to get me out of the weeds.

DSC_0589[1].jpgDSC_0588[1].jpg
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 03-27-2021 at 9:32 AM.

William,
    Looks well organized with everything nearby. I assume the grinders are close to the lathe?
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim Tobias; 03-27-2021 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Sp

Thanks Kevin,
    I plan to use "rolling carts" for some items for sure. I like the options when things are on wheels.
    I agree with your comment about wall space is always at a premium. But those windows are also very appealing as I think seeing outside occasionally keeps me from feeling like I'm in a cave. My shop has a lot of windows and the natural light is hard to beat. I do see that you have some solid wall behind the "danger zone" of your lathe.....someone else had mentioned that windows need to be strategically located.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Not the expert that so many who have already relied are. I will just note that I have gone from having my lathe against the wall to having it well away from the wall when I am turning (when I turn inside). Three reasons: it is less claustrophobic, it is easier to adjust the dust collection hood to the particulars of the piece I am working on, and cleanup is much easier. When it was against the wall I was always having trouble cleaning up the shavings. So I might suggest a set up where the lathe is stored against the wall but you pull it out (on wheels) and do your turning away from the wall. Easily done with your Laguna 1836 which has a very good optional mobility system. Just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    Jim this is my lathe setup. I have a large pole barn, but the lathe occupies a 8’ X 8’ area. I have everything within reach. My grinders are next to the lathe along a wall. Excuse the mess as I keep forgetting to take a picture when clean.

4B37C717-DC49-4E77-A95B-DDA3F7AB067C_1_201_a.jpg 623D6372-F48F-4767-8209-701009ED7299_1_201_a.jpg
    I like your setup. Your sharpening station is similar to mine but I use a Tormek along with some grinders. I like the air cleaner near the sharpening - that should catch some of the ultra-fine steel dust I see floating around my shop.

How do you like the Sorby ProEdge sharpener? Which tools do you use it for? Do they make a belt that will cut carbide?

I thought about getting one, perhaps for scrapers and a few other special tools. I do like the hollow grind on skews and gouges.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gaylin View Post
    ... When it was against the wall I was always having trouble cleaning up the shavings. ...
    Hi Dan! I used to have that problem. Then one day at Walmart I found something that works for me:

lathe_PM_tub.jpg

The tub is pushed up tight against the wall and catches almost all of the shavings that would otherwise be on the floor. I put a smaller one under the second lathe but I'd like to find another big one:

tub_lathe.jpg

The lathe against the wall is not for everyone - those who turn hollow forms and large bowls can make good use of the space around the lathe. But perhaps the "tub" method might be of interest to some.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I like your setup. Your sharpening station is similar to mine but I use a Tormek along with some grinders. I like the air cleaner near the sharpening - that should catch some of the ultra-fine steel dust I see floating around my shop.

How do you like the Sorby ProEdge sharpener? Which tools do you use it for? Do they make a belt that will cut carbide?

I thought about getting one, perhaps for scrapers and a few other special tools. I do like the hollow grind on skews and gouges.

JKJ
    John, I don’t know how I like the Proedge as I just got it the other day. I plan to use it for scrapers, skews, and roughing gouges. I sharpen my bow and spindle gouges using the Michelsen Vector grind and by far I really like that. I try the pro edge on some older M2 and sharpen with a 1200 belt for a final pass gouge. I doubt I give up my Vector jig. The do make a belt for carbide. It’s a diamond belt that cost ~$189. Suppose to last 15-20 times longer, not sure of the grit and is not in my arsenal. I haven’t tried a flat grind skew yet. I have seen pros and cons, so it will be turners preference I guess. The sharpening is just the other side of the lathe. My vacuum pump is on the wall, I’ll take a picture of that. The rack with pegboard has all my sanding supplies and is on wheels (called a “Z” rack.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

JKJ
    John, I've had a Tormek for around 15 years, it is brilliant, but slow as anything for shaping.

My Men's Shed has the Sorby Pro Edge, for shaping and sharpening of big tools it is the bees knees compared to the Tormek.

I too prefer the hollow grind of the Tormek, plus the super sharpness without anything getting into the atmosphere. The Sorby, if used with some of their 3200 grit(?) belts, have perfect super quick sharpening ability. One does have to change belts but that isn't an issue.

If I had my time over again, I would probably be very satisfied with the Sorby unit, much cheaper than the Tormek.

My preference is for all spindle and bowl gouges to be sharpened and shaped on the Tormek, as well as sharpening of skew chisels.

I prefer to shape skews on the Sorby, then sharpen them on the Tormek.

With heavy use, like what happens at my Men's shed, the Sorby does get a slight inwards curve on the flat plate behind the linishing belt. The assumption I have is that in the Shed environment, bucket loads of woodworking chisels are sharpened in the centre of the belt and pressure is a constant when sharpening, so the back of the belts do wear the backing plate a little. For a single workshop, I wouldn't think this is an issue.

One feature of the Sorby unit is that one can use it at 90º vertical, or flat as a bench top, or at any angle in-between. Depending upon what is being sharpened, one adjusts the angle of the linishing belt so it is comfortable and easy to use the machine.

I've had access to the Sorby for around 2-3 years, it is a very good system and is what I suggest new turners have a good look at as most if not all new to turning people are unaware of the Sorby Pro Edge unit even existing.

Mick.

See post 20.

These are pictures of my vacuum setup. It is located just to the right of the window. For my lathe you just push in the vacuum adapter. When I am going to use vacuum I install the adapter and move the on/off toggle switch to the headstock(second picture). My bleed valve is at the pump location, but easily reachable while standing in front of the lathe. The last picture shows a better view of my sanding and Axminster chuck jaws along the top. The cart was a free-be from a sewing store and is on wheels. It has a magnetic strip across the top cart for Allen wrenches and small hand tools. My chucks are easily accessed and the peg board has sorted wrenches, saws and misc tools. Behind the cart is another piece of pegboard that has measuring and indexing. My sharpening station is on the other side of the sanding supply peg board along the wall under the air cleaner.. There is also a cabinet next to that that has the buffing, drill bits, and hollowing bars in it. My dust collection is whole shop and I use the large bay cyclone and a 3 hp old Jet DC system. I am also able to vent outside. I had my lathe up against a wall at one time. However I like the lathe being perpendicular to the wall much better. This gives me a wall for my lathe chisels making them easy to reach and the Z rack with my sanding supplies in front is reachable. I think I have packed as much as I can into a 8’ X 8’ space, but is not crowded.

EDIT: Chips will get on various things, but not really a problem as they are easily removed with air or a brush. Note the PVC holders are cut at an angle on the bottom to allow chips tom pass through when there is no tool in the holder.

B829CD78-916D-40BA-B05C-7B6CC4F8BF3E_1_201_a.jpg 59314D9D-33BA-46D9-AD14-4D3D7C44BA8A_1_201_a.jpg 6D4CA840-8775-4B16-86DC-2DEEBDE201BD_1_201_a.jpg
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 03-28-2021 at 8:04 AM.

John, I like the bins under the lathe, pretty clever. Don't they get in the way of your feet?

-Dan