Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gluing large pieces of wood

Gluing large pieces of wood

I plan on making a workbench out of 4 by 4 beams from home depot and am wondering if for the top of the bench if wood glue will be enough to laminate the beams lengthwise or if I will have to do some type of reinforcement like breadboard ends on a table

Pressure treated ? No!

Blog Entries
    Glue alone should be strong enough. However, if you are planning on gluing up 4 x 4 treated lumber you will need to let the wood dry considerably to get a decent bond. Due to the size and weight, I would recommend only gluing up two to start, leveling the face as you clamp it up and then add one additional piece each time after that to your initial glue up.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Folks have made tabletops out of 3/4" lumber for centuries. That has like 1/5 of the edge glue surface of those 4x4s. You'll be just fine, don't worry

I don’t think they are gonna be flat enough for glue. If it must be done ,use the polyurethane cartridge adhesive. If it does stay together,
    how will it be flattened ?

IMHO, no one needs a 3 1/2" thick bench top. Construction grade 4x4s will be very wet in the center. Many of them will have the log center in them and when that is not centered, the 4x4 will twist like crazy. Expect a lot of cracking as those dry out. Just not a good idea in my opinion.

You could do it the way I did. I would sort through the douglas fir 4x4 stack, choosing a few of the straightest ones with the tightest grain to let dry in my shop.

When I had accumulated most of what I needed, I happened on a closing shop selling maple at half the price of the fir. My maple bench has worked out well.

So yes, buying 4x4 lumber for a bench can work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    IMHO, no one needs a 3 1/2" thick bench top. Construction grade 4x4s will be very wet in the center. Many of them will have the log center in them and when that is not centered, the 4x4 will twist like crazy. Expect a lot of cracking as those dry out. Just not a good idea in my opinion.
    I agree with Rich here. I would consider all options before commiting to this idea. As far as the glue stength you would be fine I believe.

As mentioned above, boards with pith in them (the center of the tree) are very problematic, and many 4x4s contain pith. If you are lucky some Doug Fir ones might not. 4x4s with pith typically will crack along at least one side sometimes more. It is just a geometry thing with how concentric rings dry.

If you are determined to do a construction lumber top, you probably are better off taking untreated 2x6s with no pith and ripping them down the middle and then gluing up the 2x3 sections on their sides. That way you end up with a roughly quartered or rift sawn top, which will be much more stable.

If you really want to do this I would just drill 1/2" holes in them and get some threaded rods and bolt them together.

4x4 pressure treated posts will make a disaster of a top. Rip some 2x12s down to whatever you can get and let them dry and settle. Then plane then down and glue them up in batches. Flatten each batch carefully and glue those together. That is your best bet if you're using construction grade lumber.

Dan

Hmmm, my local HD has sold 4x4 fir fir as long as I can remember. Maybe this discussion isn't about pressure treated. Edge gluing will be plenty strong for a workbench top, it's been done that way for centuries. Of course, you'll need to be sure that your material is properly dry, and prepared and that you have adequately clamping. And yeah, no PT.

Correct, many of today's 4"x4"s are junk and contain the pith from the log which will warp and twist. PT lumber has many detractors to me for building a work bench, namely it's soft wood and doesn't have the mass for a workbench like oak or hard maple.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Hmmm, my local HD has sold 4x4 fir fir as long as I can remember. Maybe this discussion isn't about pressure treated. Edge gluing will be plenty strong for a workbench top, it's been done that way for centuries. Of course, you'll need to be sure that your material is properly dry, and prepared and that you have adequately clamping. And yeah, no PT.
    I was talking construction grade, not PT. My local Menards shows 4x4 in; white wood, douglas fir, western red cedar, redwood, and even oak.

I was talking construction grade, not PT. My local Menards shows 4x4 in; white wood, douglas fir, western red cedar, redwood, and even oak.
    Do you own a moisture meter?