Thread: Free Architectural/Structural Drawing Software?

Free Architectural/Structural Drawing Software?

Does anybody have any suggestions for free architectural drawing software? I'm thinking about submitting drawings to my building department for an extended garage, but this is going to be a one time use for me. I'm familiar with Sketchup, but I find it's too focused on details and parts for what I want to accomplish. I'd rather something that did a decent job of just showing the general area with the ability to paste in simple stuff like pre-existing doors.

I have a couple of friends who use FreeCAD and say nice things about it. I'm not familiar with it, however. If you only need to do a plot plan for building footprint, you can use pretty much anything that can draw lines; even PowerPoint. I just did one using the Vectric CAD/CAM software I use for my CNC machine using 1mm = 1 ft for scale and tracing a lot and existing building from images available online. Do be aware that some jurisdictions may require engineered drawings for projects, especially if they alter a home, so be sure you know what your building department expects for the kind of project you are proposing. It can be costly to have to resubmit sometimes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Does anybody have any suggestions for free architectural drawing software? I'm thinking about submitting drawings to my building department for an extended garage, but this is going to be a one time use for me. I'm familiar with Sketchup, but I find it's too focused on details and parts for what I want to accomplish. I'd rather something that did a decent job of just showing the general area with the ability to paste in simple stuff like pre-existing doors.
    If you know how to use Sketchup there are thousands of architectural parts, doors, windows other features available for download in the 3D warehouse. Sketchup's most prolific users are architects and builders. You should re-evaluate it for this project by searching the 3D Warehouse. https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/?hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Do be aware that some jurisdictions may require engineered drawings for projects, especially if they alter a home, so be sure you know what your building department expects for the kind of project you are proposing. It can be costly to have to resubmit sometimes.
    I live in a very small town, where I'm on the BZA. Pretty familiar with what the building department wants for the most part, and I've had some drawings approved by them in the past. However, you are correct about making sure to get things as ship shape as possible.

@Tom you could be correct, and it's an error of the part between the keyboard and seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    I designed and built my last house. I drew everything by hand with a simple laminated board, architect's rule, T-square and some tri-squares and one of these. It's got door swings, wall thickness, a scale and pretty much everything you need for a garage.

Inexpensive and no learning curve.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I'm glad you're connected, Andrew. I've been thinking a lot about this because of my own coming situation for a shop build...my goal is to "have my fowl all in a nice neat row" before I submit for approval to hopefully get it first shot. A good part of that is making sure I actually understand what they want. Which, of course, and sometimes be a moving target in some places. I have a good handle on our current township, but the new property is in another jurisdiction and is a borough rather than a township.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...