Thread: Anyone have a home or garage gym?

Anyone have a home or garage gym?

Would love to start a discussion about what equipment y’all have, to share photos, and complain about price gouging for fitness equipment these days 🙄🙄

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    I have a few pieces of workout equipment - focused on my personal wants and needs for fitness. I swam competitively from age 6 thru college and then picked it back up as an adult swimming US Masters and long-distance open water swims and races. Now that I'm landlocked and away from the cold ocean waters of SE Alaska, I'm not swimming very much these days, so I get by with a Concept2 rowing machine, a Matrix A50 elliptical and a bicycle trainer. The elliptical was hideously expensive, but is great for getting the legs in shape for mountain hunting. The rower on the other hand was priced pretty well and it's my favorite machine to work out on. The television keeps me from going crazy on hour long workouts...
    Gym stuff.jpg

A home gym is a current want for me. I've been looking at rowing machines, primarily the Concept 2 Model D, but pandemic pricing and wait times have caused me to hold off so far. While the prices I have seen are not obscene, the cheapskate within hates to pay 150% of pre-pandemic prices. I'd also like to test one out before buying, and I will have to wait at least until I am fully vaccinated before I'm willing to do that. I've used ergs at health clubs in the past, but don't have experience with any of the current crop.

The other thing I'd like to do is build myself a dip station. I am past the point where I want to reacquire a free weight collection or do a lot of strength training, but dips and core exercises I could do on a dip station still has some appeal. Has anyone built one?

I have a Vision elliptical and I dont really care for it. I'd really like to swap it for a treadmill since I don't have space for both.

Basement workshop is also the health club. Pullup bar, dumbells, kettlebells, bands. Lots of bodyweight stuff cause I don't have room for more and too cheap to buy all kinds of equipment. I also have a lot of injuries and can't move really heavy weight around, so more about flexibility and general health than hulking up.

I’ve got a Sole F63 treadmill - excellent purchase that got us through Covid. Great treadmill, cost $1000.

Edit - got us through the (first?) Covid winter.
    Last edited by Matt Day; 03-17-2021 at 9:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    I've hauled the same small Weider machine from house to house for years. I think it was under $200 on sale at Sears. It has never failed to give me a good workout. I have a treadmill that never gets used since the whole world is just on the other side of the door. Some of the upper end machines at "the gym" are great for target training but for a general health workout it doesn't take much. Your goals will drive your equipment needs. Auctions for chains that have gone under are a great source for pro gear at consumer prices.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-17-2021 at 6:58 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter McLaughlin View Post
    Would love to start a discussion about what equipment y’all have, to share photos, and complain about price gouging for fitness equipment these days 
    Few people use their gym memberships. The purpose of the home gym is to hide this fact. :^)

I have an elaborate weight machine in my wood storage room, so that the timber can see that I suffer too.

We have a full gym at home, but my Wife forbade me from posting pictures, years ago. We have a few nice Legend, and Rogue pieces, but also an accumulation of old York, and even Body Solid pieces, so it doesn't look good in a picture. Just today, I ordered some replacement pulleys for one of the old cable machines, and last week I replaced some of the high density foam "rollers" on the leg machines. Plates are a mish-mash too, from nice Rogue plates, to decades old, rusty Weider weird ones with hand holes. All free-weight, or cable machines with weight stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Seng View Post
    I have a few pieces of workout equipment - focused on my personal wants and needs for fitness. I swam competitively from age 6 thru college and then picked it back up as an adult swimming US Masters and long-distance open water swims and races. Now that I'm landlocked and away from the cold ocean waters of SE Alaska, I'm not swimming very much these days, so I get by with a Concept2 rowing machine, a Matrix A50 elliptical and a bicycle trainer. The elliptical was hideously expensive, but is great for getting the legs in shape for mountain hunting. The rower on the other hand was priced pretty well and it's my favorite machine to work out on. The television keeps me from going crazy on hour long workouts...
    Gym stuff.jpg
    im not able to view your image because I don’t have the privileges apparently?

I use a NordicTrack skier and a Concept 2 rower. As others have said, a TV sure helps make the medicine go down.

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter McLaughlin View Post
    im not able to view your image because I don’t have the privileges apparently?
    Hey Dexter - Yeah, you need to subscribe (for a whoppng $6/yr) in order to view photos. I think that it's money well spent. Cheapest education in woodworking available!