Thread: Where to find new totes?

Where to find new totes?

I just got a Bedrock #3. It is need of a new tote. Where would one look to find one?

eBay probably has more tool and machine parts than anywhere else.

Although not "original" they're not too hard to make. The secret, I found, is to drill the hole first and then shape the tote around the hole. It's hard to drill the hole straight and in exactly the right place. I tried drilling from both ends and it's difficult to get the holes to meet properly.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'm with Mike, they're easy to make, piles of tutorials on line, all that.
    But if you want to buy, there's piles who'll sell them to you
    one example:

https://www.jimdaveyhandtools.com.au...sets-c48135250

Something new everyday. Never heard "tote" before.

The advantage of making your own is you can use any wood that appeals to you, plus it’s a lot cheaper than buying one. But if you’re not inclined to do so just search Stanley Plane Tote on eBay and you’ll get dozens of options.

Blog Entries
    Here is an old post on making a tote > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?71658

If you need a drawing with instructions, send me a PM with your email eddress and an old .pdf can be sent to you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It surprised me that the tote on my old #6 Bedrock was so small. I have medium to small hands and it was way too small. And it was broken so I made one to fit me. Some people use a 3 finger grip but on a big plane 4 fingers seems right to me.

And yes, drill first.

Myself, I have a box of plane parts and a shelf of parts planes bought at garage sales or anywhere else they were cheap. Sometimes it is cheaper (and faster) to buy a bad plane for the parts than to locate and buy the specific part you need.

I second Mikes suggestion. Make it yourself and start with the hole for the screw and fit everything relative to this hole.

Blog Entries

West of Boston East of worcester north of RI South of nashua
    Not to rock the boat on the make it yourself ideas but bill rittner hardware city tools makes good totes at what I think is reasonable prices - he sells on ebay too I think.
    Andy
    Keep Life Simple

+1 on Hardware City. Bought knob/tote combo from him when I refurbished my Grandad's old #5. Very pleased.

gl