Thread: Helical head binds when tightened

Helical head binds when tightened

Question. I’m installing a Shelix cutting head on my 1982 Powermatic Model 60 8” Jointer. When I tighten the bolts that hold the bearing blocks in place I hit a point where they stop the head from spinning. Am I just over tightening them or is this not supposed to happen? The bolts are tight just not as tight as they could be. Thoughts?

It should not happen. There must be some misalignment in the bearings versus their housings or in the castings the bearing blocks mount to. Is there any schmutz under the blocks? Are the bearings pressed home in their housings? Was that done by Byrd or you? Could the distance between the cutterhead shoulders on which the bearings seat be off? Are the bearing blocks fully seating when they are "tight just not as tight as they could be"? Have you contacted Byrd?

The bearings were installed on the shaft at the factory. I “think” I pressed the bearing home in the housings. I’m going disassemble it all, re-clean, everything, and try reassembly. I haven’t contacted Byrd yet. I figured I try and make sure I’m not the idiot before I do that.

I think I figured it out. One of the bearing that came installed on the head wasn’t set completely. Once I reseated it and gave everything a good cleaning it all went together very easily and runs smoothly. Thanks for the help.

I agree with Kevin, there is probably a misalignment between the bearings and where they fit into the bearing mounting blocks.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....