Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forum Software

1. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The good news, Frank, is that there's an actual process/utility for converting VB forums to XenForo that works pretty well in-general. I believe that Aaron did a "dry run" quite some time ago. I was surprised at how fast most of the forums I participate in that did the conversion pulled it off, some as large or larger than SMC. This is not meant to trivialized the process, however...it's still intense, time consuming and with a lot of the necessary customizations required to keep certain features online, there's quite a bit of real work involved over and above running the data conversion.
    I was going from phpBB to IPB, and the database conversion had to take several steps to get the phpBB database formatted correctly. I was also on a VPS, and I suspect your dedicated server will be much faster.

It's still a lot of work, and there are always issues when it's completed to deal with.

My understanding is that the database conversion part is the easiest step. If I'm not mistaken, some of the folks that wrote XenForo started life at VBulletin. It's all the other stuff that makes the forum "the forum" that makes things fun!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim hit it on the head. The database conversation is typically the easy part. Permissions, theming/styles, add-ons, etc take all the time to tweak and get right. I spent four hours tonight cleaning up and rebuilding all of the permissions on the AAW forums as they were a mess from their vbulletin migration years and years ago. I had to have spent 100+ hours on the xenforo 1.5 to 2.2 upgrade earlier this month. I can only image coming from SMCs version of vB to XF2.2 is going to take many more hours than that.

Is there a need for volunteer beta testers? If so, what are the qualifications and responsibilities, and how might one volunteer?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mich View Post
    Is there a need for volunteer beta testers? If so, what are the qualifications and responsibilities, and how might one volunteer?
    The original plan was for the moderator team to fill that role and we did, in fact, have access to some resources to learn and get up to speed on features. If Aaron wants more bodies for that, we can certainly pull from a set of Community members.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...