Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyclone DC with limited height

Cyclone DC with limited height

So I decided to go ahead and invest in a real DC system. My needs are fairly specific:

1. single tool at a time (either 3HP sawstop ICS, router table, or lunchbox planer)
    2. maximum collection with minimum noise (basement workshop) - definitely want a cyclone/2 stage collector
    3. Low ceiling: max height is ~75-78" - luckily my wife and I are short so this doesn't both us, but it rules out both oneida and clearvue.

Max run won't be more than 30` or so.

Note: I currently have a shopvac with a cyclone which I can potentially use for (for example) table top dust collection. It would be nicer to have just one system for everything on the table saw, though.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by Aaron Liebling; 03-17-2021 at 12:49 AM.

The easy fit to your situation is a cyclone with a short cone. JDS, Laguna, Jet, and others, offer them. The short cone is not as efficient as a long cone in removing dust from the airstream. That is, more of your dust will get to your filter. Many systems in this class offer built-in beaters inside the filter to clean it. Some even offer motorized beaters. With all that beating, there is a definite lifetime for the filter.

The lagunas look to be out of stock for months, the jet only seem to filter to 2 microns. Any of the grizzley worth looking at? They have such a bewildering array it's hard to tell what's what.

Maybe the Grizzly G0861? https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...ollector/g0861
    Last edited by Aaron Liebling; 03-17-2021 at 1:30 AM.

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    I'm running a Grizzly G0862 (3hp). I'm in the low ceiling crowd too. Even though it's a short cone, it seems to do a decent job of separating things out. I'm currently running it with a pair of the Rockler 28' Dust Rite corrugated hoses and it's doing a nice job of getting the dust even with the inefficiency of the long flex hoses. I'd give it a 4 out of 5 rating. It does the job, fairly quietly and effectively. But the quality of construction and design leaves room for improvement...

Called Oneida and got great customer service from Dan there. If I wall mount a V3000, I can trim the flexible hose between the unit ands the chip collecting drum to shorten the required height by ~6" which fits my basement.

Looking forward to it and credit again to Oneida for great sales service.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Liebling View Post
    So I decided to go ahead and invest in a real DC system. My needs are fairly specific:

1. single tool at a time (either 3HP sawstop ICS, router table, or lunchbox planer)
    2. maximum collection with minimum noise (basement workshop) - definitely want a cyclone/2 stage collector
    3. Low ceiling: max height is ~75-78" - luckily my wife and I are short so this doesn't both us, but it rules out both oneida and clearvue.

Max run won't be more than 30` or so.

Note: I currently have a shopvac with a cyclone which I can potentially use for (for example) table top dust collection. It would be nicer to have just one system for everything on the table saw, though.

Suggestions?
    I've just been through this, Aaron. Size was very important because I work out of a 1 car garage. I finally whittled it down to Oneida's Supercell and Harvey's G-700. The Supercell requires high pressure hoses and ducting but it's short (about 5' or so) and easy to install. Cleaning the filter is easy.

The G-700 takes up a space about 60"Wx24"Dx34"H but allows for it to fit under a work table. It's extremely quiet, traps over 99% of dust and is easy also to clean. I went with the G-700 first due to how quiet it is and secondly because it allows me to put in a much needed worktop. It's scheduled to arrive in the next few days.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Julie -- Please be sure to update us on how you like the G-700. It is an interesting machine and may be a good option for many of us.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Called Oneida and got great customer service from Dan there. If I wall mount a V3000, I can trim the flexible hose between the unit ands the chip collecting drum to shorten the required height by ~6" which fits my basement.

Looking forward to it and credit again to Oneida for great sales service.
    I don't have the same model as yours, but I am a very satisfied Oneida customer! I have the 2nd-generation (molded) Mini Gorilla. It fits my shop/needs perfectly.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    Julie -- Please be sure to update us on how you like the G-700. It is an interesting machine and may be a good option for many of us.
    Will do, David.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Aaron are your ceilings finished , or are the floor joists exposed ?

If exposed, you can mount the unit so the motor goes between two joists with the impeller housing sitting jusT below the joist bottom. This arrangement will give you another 6-8” of room.

That's exactly my plan. I'll still need to trim the confusion between the cyclone and the collector by two inches or so, but this will allow the v3000 to fit

That's exactly my plan. I'll still need to trim the confusion between the cyclone and the collector by two inches or so, but this will allow the v3000 to fit
    Aaron, what size of barrel will you have under the V3000?
    Milling can generate a high volume of waste pretty quickly.
    I'd recommend getting a barrel fill sensor if you can; cleaning out an overfilled cyclone is un-fun.

Matt

The flex connection between the bottom of the cone and the bit can be remarkably short...it only needs to be long enough that there's enough give for you to physically get the lid unclamped so you can remove the bin for emptying. Mine is about 4", but it could be shorter if need be.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Aaron are your ceilings finished , or are the floor joists exposed ?

If exposed, you can mount the unit so the motor goes between two joists with the impeller housing sitting jusT below the joist bottom. This arrangement will give you another 6-8” of room.
    Aaron,

This scenario will allow you gain precious height; you may however lose a bit on the quietness front upstairs. Maybe add a layer of soundproofing if possible? This would probably cost you 2 inches in height.

Thanks, Matt. I'll definitely pick up a sensor!