Thread: Jet 22-44 OSC drum sander sliding carriage needs adjustment

Jet 22-44 OSC drum sander sliding carriage needs adjustment

Over the past few days, my Jet 22-44 OSC drum sander has gradually been developing more of a rattle in the drum area. First thought was a worn drum bearing. But, after shutting the machine down, the drum rotates smoothly with no bearing noise. But, the outboard end of the sliding carriage can be lifted nearly 1/8” from the stationary carriage upon which it rides. Definitely appears this is the source of the rattle while sanding. I neglected to mention it makes no rattling noise when running without sanding anything. The outboard end of the sliding carriage can also be shifted side to side. Anyone here had this problem with their oscillating drum sander? If so, what adjustments need to be made to the gibs on which the sliding carriage rides, and how is this done? I have the owners manual, but no such information does it contain. Have also looked online for a service manual for this sander, but can’t locate one. Any help is much appreciated, as when this sander is working as it should, it’s a terrific tool. Thanks in advance.

I'm with you, "when this sander is working as it should, it’s a terrific tool." I bought mine in 2012 and inadvertently found that I could sand pine without loading-up the paper by doing-it in the oscillating mode. Pretty-much everything I work-on finds a reason to go thru the sander. My carriage has no movement. Look at the manual P-25 at the bottom: Knocking sound while running ... and the parts explosion on P-32. The 'carriage' cycles on '85' Shaft. My first 'suspect' is that the shafts are loose. Otherwise: throughout the manual the pages are sprinkled with use, care and build information ... sit-at-the-machine and just read through-it.