Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best Full-Sized Lathe / Upgrade Help

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Paul View Post
    Congratulations, Tom! And thank you for your extensive summary of your thought process. Should be very helpful to many others.
    Allen, but thank you and glad to hear it

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Mattsen View Post
    UPDATE:

If anyone with one and knows the 220v plug & outlets required please let me know. Have to do the electrical next.
    My 2436 came with a molded on plug

Thank you. It appears you can't use the twist lock type of outlets with that type of plug or can you?

No, I have the same plugs on several 240V tools and have never had an issue with the plug coming out during use.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Mattsen View Post
    Thank you. It appears you can't use the twist lock type of outlets with that type of plug or can you?
    No. If you want twist locks you'll have to replace that connector. I put twist locks on all my 220V tools. Mainly because I only have two outlets. Each outlet is equipped with a 10' extension cord that I made with twist locks on each end. These reach any tool that needs power and the lock makes sure they stay fully connected. My circuits are rated for 30 amps because I have some 20A tools where 15A plug/receptacles would not work. Since they all share the same power cord, had to go with the heaviest. My next shop will have enough appropriately sized outlets to dedicate to each machine.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    No. If you want twist locks you'll have to replace that connector. I put twist locks on all my 220V tools. Mainly because I only have two outlets. Each outlet is equipped with a 10' extension cord that I made with twist locks on each end. These reach any tool that needs power and the lock makes sure they stay fully connected. My circuits are rated for 30 amps because I have some 20A tools where 15A plug/receptacles would not work. Since they all share the same power cord, had to go with the heaviest. My next shop will have enough appropriately sized outlets to dedicate to each machine.
    Why did you go with 30A circuits when it appears 20A would be sufficient? I ask because I'm making that decision myself and although I don't plan on any tools requiring a 30A circuit, a larger bandsaw will require 20A. I've gone back and forth on this. My electrician friend will help me do either one, but by all accounts 20A would be sufficient for me, as I won't be running anything other than a 110v dust collector and one of the larger tools at the same time, and no 220v tools simultaneously.