Thread: laser pointer kits for turning

laser pointer kits for turning

Does anyone know where or if they make kits for hand held laser pointers like they do for pens? Thanks

Blog Entries
    I don't know. But I'm keeping my eye on this thread in case someone knows.
    Have a Nice Day!

a little up date. Berea hardwoods has key chain laser pointers but only in 24k gold. These r tiny. So hopefully someone knows where to get bigger ones.

Search Ebay for red laser (like the module in the image) - then you just need a small wall wart DC power supply (from RadioShack? that puts out 3 to 4 volts or use two 1.5v batteries). This module has a focus on the lens so you can set a sharp dot no matter how high your laser arm is above your work. The metal body of module is about an inch in length.

I have several and have worked well for a year. I used a small block of hardwood with a hole to mount led and other small blocks with brass inserts and thumbscrews and 1/2" alum tube from Lowes for the arms. I can post a pic of the rig if that would help you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Harder; 07-22-2010 at 8:47 AM.

A picture of how you make these would be great

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Harder View Post
    ... I can post a pic of the rig if that would help you.

Please do so.

"The best things in life are not things."

BTW I could be out of line but I do not believe the OP was referring to thickness gauging. Reads to me like he was looking for a hand held laser turning kit like a pen kit that he could make his own turned wooden handle for. Again I could be all wet. Just my $02.

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    BTW I could be out of line but I do not believe the OP was referring to thickness gauging. Reads to me like he was looking for a hand held laser turning kit like a pen kit that he could make his own turned wooden handle for. Again I could be all wet. Just my $02.
    You are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    Yeah...but nevertheless...I highly recommend that Steve Harder start a new thread discussing his laser mounting technique. I'd be very interested as well.

please pardon the interruption Shaun...I wish I could help on the laser pointer kit question.....but I don't know nuthin'
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Lasers

We have in the Buffalo, NY area a store called "$.99 Store" and they have available these small lasers that take three small batteries and they cost only $.99. I don't even bother changing the batteries, just replace the entire unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance kanaby View Post
    We have in the Buffalo, NY area a store called "$.99 Store" and they have available these small lasers that take three small batteries and they cost only $.99. I don't even bother changing the batteries, just replace the entire unit.
    In my little town...We have a Dollar Store...which is substantially more expensive

But I know exactly the ones you're talking about. I bought a couple of those m'self.
    Now, that's a good point Shaun....maybe you could invent your own kit, based on low-cost guts.
    I did that when I made Marking Knives....I just used pieces of pen kits that I had screwed up.
    Maybe you could take the guts of these cheap pointers, and do sumpthin' with 'em.

I'm going to look at those things when I get home tonight.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I was almost sure that CSUSA had laser pen kits, but I just checked and they do not. However, they DO have a laser depth measuring device for 130 bucks.

PSI doesn't have a kit either.

I can't remember who is was, but I'm sure I saw them because I was thinking of picking some up for the guys at work, but our management says we have to send the laser to safety for evaluation on the hazzards for the attendees. Yes, I work for the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Sloffer View Post
    If anyone is still interested in a laser pointer kit for woodturners, check us out at (url removed).

The kits are high quality with laser modules that are tested to meet FDA standards for performance and safety.

Ty, there are restrictions about advertising your site. Please check the Terms of Service.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 04-23-2021 at 10:05 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Woodturningz.com carries at least one version in a few platings. I agree with the earlier post--thought CS USA had them, but i didn't see it either.
    earl