Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Full-Sized Lathe / Upgrade Help

Update: I checked out a Laguna 1836 (I'm considering the 2436) and PM3520C side by side today at Woodcrafters. My observations:

Powermatic vs Laguna

The Tool rest locking mechanism PM

Tool rest design PM

Banjo *tied*

Tailstock PM

Removable control box with speed readout PM

​Spindle lock PM

Bed ways Laguna (stainless and wider)

Weight/ease of moving headstock Laguna

Handwheel PM

Laguna: Spindle Height w/ wheel kit (optional) 46"; spindle cone beyond housing: 4"

PM: Spindle Height w/ riser blocks (standard) 46", spindle cone beyond housing: 3"

Availablity: end of May for Laguna 2436 and the PM is in stock. The 1836 is in stock, fwiw.

Price: $4000~4500 PM, $3800 Laguna

The PM tool rest locks so easily and won't budge - love it! I know there is a workaround for the Laguna by adding a 2nd bolt in the available 2nd hole but still.

I've just checked out the wheel system on my Laguna 2436 and the system raises the lathe 15mm, but I have the levelling pads set around 35mm below the lathe legs. This translates to a spindle height of 1143mm from the ground, converted it is 45". I don't have an inch ruler in my workshop, sorry.

If you intend to put a riser kit on the lathe, then I think the wheels will need to be positioned lower, something you may wish to find out if that is possible, or what is their work around.

As for comparing the Laguna 1836 lathe, please remember it is really tiny compared to the 2436 lathe. The banjo on the 2436 is massive by comparison to the 1836 one.

The clamping method for the tool rest is unique, in that it is a clamping of quite a fair amount of the tool rest post, not a single clamp pressure point. I've never seen a Powermatic lathe, but the only tool rest clamping system that are comparable to my 2436 are the 30mm diameter Vicmarc tool posts which are rock solid, and so is the Laguna 2436. It is slightly fiddly, but it clamps rock solid. You don't need to use the second bolt hole, that is there so you can have the bolt handle inside or outside. The 2436 clamping system is heavier than the 1836 from memory, but I doubt it is as beefy as the 2436.

Speaking of tool posts, the 2436 requires tool post shafts of exactly 25.4mm (1") 25mm (63/64") cannot be clamped.

All of the accessories for the 2436 are identical to the 1836 lathe, which is a little bit iffy with one of their accessories. The iffy accessory is the swing away unit, it is in my opinion, too light for the substantially heavier and bigger 2436 tailstock. It has been impossible for me to get it to work easily and/or properly, so I took it off.

The bed extension kit is pretty much a must have, I mostly leave mine permanently attached in the lowered position. With the tailstock riser permanently on the bed extension, I just slide the riser to the end of the bed and slide the tailstock onto that. It is slightly fiddly, but only takes a minute or so.

Mick.

Great info, thanks Mick.

In fairness, the PM hadn't been used at all and the 1836 was worn significantly as a demo / floor model.
    Last edited by Allen Mattsen; 03-31-2021 at 4:17 AM.

I have the Laguna 2436 and have never had a problem with the tool rest coming loose. It has worked seamlessly for me sinceI bought it. I've had several opportunities to turn on a PM3520B and really liked it but for me it came down to price and the 24" clearance. BTW, the Laguna will go on sale a couple times a year for 10% off (I think I bought mine in April 2019 and they had a sale at that time so they may go on sale in the next couple weeks).

Good luck. Can't go wrong with either IMO.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Rush, I would have opted for the longer bed lathe. Main reason is to turn table legs. It was a bit of a squeeze to fit a 30 inch leg onto my 3520A, but since I am a furniture maker as well. that is essential.
    FWIW, we re-thought our decision to go with the short bed 2020B. We changed our order to the 3520C per Reed's suggestion. After reviewing our available space, we decided the standard length lathe could fit. We further decided that we'd never regret going this direction, but we might regret the short bed.

For what it may be worth, Powermatic seriously upgraded the locking mechanism for the tool rest post with the "C" upgrade to the 3520. The 3520C now uses a cam locking mechanism (item 14 in the parts diagram below) instead of a single pressure point screw. This is similar to the mechanism in the 1950s era Craftsman drill presses for tightening the head and table to the column if you're familiar with that design. Robust has long used this design, as have perhaps some others. This makes for a rock solid locking mechanism that will not slip under pressure.

Tool Rest Post Lock - PM .png

Image from Robust manual:

Tool Rest Post Lock - Robust .png

I'm down to the PM3520C or the Laguna 2436. The max spindle height from floor is a key number for me.

PM3520C specs I read are "Spindle height from floor: 40-5/8" (without 4" riser blocks)". 44-5/8" is 2" or so lower than I'd prefer. Anyone know the maximum or how to get around this - a solution to make it closer to 46+"?

If it were me, I'd add riser blocks using a 4x4 across the width of the legs and 2x6s bolted to each side of the 4x4 to create a cradle locking the legs within the pocket created by the 2x6 risers.
    Last edited by Rush Paul; 04-18-2021 at 10:35 PM.

Reed also brought up 4x4s on another forum and it seems plausible. Wouldn't having some steel plates or something be stronger? I don't know. I did a similar thing to the above suggestion with my midi lathe, just sections of 2x4 between each leg of a desk (lathe stand) for stability. Does a 4x4 or similar material really hold a 700lb machine?

We're just talking about compression strength in this application. I should think it would be no problem as long as the footpads coming out of the riser blocks provide a broad surface. Keep in mind, to get the height you want, you may need to plane the lumber down to a different thickness than "as it comes".

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Paul View Post
    We're just talking about compression strength in this application. I should think it would be no problem as long as the footpads coming out of the riser blocks provide a broad surface. Keep in mind, to get the height you want, you may need to plane the lumber down to a different thickness than "as it comes".
    Makes sense. I could see drilling with a Forstner bit to provide ideal space for the adjustable feet - or- remove the feet altogether and bolts into the wood instead. Any thoughts?

If I were doing this, I'd stay with the PM adjustable feet and make sure the "cradle" gave me access to adjust the feet, at least from one side. The parts list shows these as built using 1/2" bolts, so pretty robust. Creating a recess using a Forstner bit can't hurt.

UPDATE:

And the winner is...
    Screenshot_20210419-154107.jpg
    20210419_154345.jpg

I've ordered the Laguna 2436 and 3" riser block kit and the ETA is reasonable. I spoke with a number of people who own the machine, have had good experience with my Laguna 1216, and like the price, height, and 24" swing as well as the 3hp motor. Looks great too. Can't wait for it to arrive!

If anyone with one and knows the 220v plug & outlets required please let me know. Have to do the electrical next.

Thanks for all the feedback to help with my decision. Definitely the most expensive power tool I've ever purchased. *butterflies*

A few notes on my process in case it helps others in a similar boat:

~I really liked the Grizzly G0800 but they don't make it anymore.

~If I had a bigger budget I'd consider the big 3 of Robust, Vicmarc, and Oneway - probably in that order.

~I closely looked at the Harvey T60s and never did get any responses from their customer service to my questions. The price also keeps going up and I wasn't sure about the servo motor or replacement parts. In my top 3, though.

~The PM3520C was a close second choice. I felt like the Banjo and tailstock were a bit clunky and heavy (for me) but the spindle lock and control box - pretty much everything else I really liked. The price was about $700 more, and the accessories also more expensive than the Laguna.

~I really like the Vicmarc VL300 and similar models. Slick machines. Maybe a small learning curve with the metric tool posts, etc, same for the Oneway but some can be custom ordered with Imperial tooling to a point.

~I was very tempted by the Record Power Coronet Regent. Rotating headstock! But, low speed of 250rpms and the relative light weight build (375lbs IIRC) were turn-offs. Also no definitive word on when available again in the US.

~I like the look and feel of the Lagunas, feel they may not be as reliable as the PM, but talked to enough people who own them to feel comfortable.

~Being able to have it shipped to a local store supports a local business and saved me about $450!

~Despite the backorder into nearly June for the 2436 from most places I looked, my local Woodcrafters said about 10 days. We'll see.

~A huge factor was the height I can get with the 3" riser blocks. I have back issues and this was very important.

~Available accessories can come later such as the bed extension and swing-away tailstock.

Congratulations, Tom! And thank you for your extensive summary of your thought process. Should be very helpful to many others.