Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Full-Sized Lathe / Upgrade Help

Allen, I've been dreaming/shopping for lathes. The Record Envoy has peaked my interest because of Records reputation for quality products. Highland Woodworking in Atlanta carries the brand and will ship. What I like about the Record Envoy is a sliding headstock and it also rotates 360 degrees. To me that's a plus for turners with back issues and for those who want to turn larger bowls. Go to Highlandwoodworking.com and check it out and also Youtube. Good luck in your quest.

Update: I went to a club member's house today for some wood and surprise! They had an American Beauty. Wow. Fine piece of machinery. If only I had twice the budget. I wonder if they finance...

Going Saturday to check out a PM3520C at another member's place.

Laguna has a 2yr warranty (not 1). The Harvey T60 looks excellent! I was told about the Axminster AT508WL which seems to do everything. Not sure about how I'd acquire one. Laguna lathes are June shipping dates currently. The nearest Woodcraft doesn't have a Rikon 70-3040 available to see but say they will (after the sale ends). Wish I knew about the Harvey's servo motor and what that means.

The resale value and my perceived ease of resale has me still leaning Powermatic. Wish it wasn't mustard yellow. I hate mustard! Haha 😂

There's at least one review of the T60 on AAW. Reviewer was enamored with it and the power it put out. Servos are widely used in robotics and see thousands of hours of back and forth. That coupled with the proliferation of robotics would say it's a safe bet the servo will meet a turner's demands.

But, yeah you would have more buyers interested in a PM.... but then why ever sell it? My tools are going with me to my grave

Where are you located? There is a PM 4224 for sale in N.J. Looks like a pretty nice unit from a fellow that passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    Where are you located? There is a PM 4224 for sale in N.J. Looks like a pretty nice unit from a fellow that passed away.
    Vancouver, WA just a few mins from Portland, OR.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Rush, I would have opted for the longer bed lathe. Main reason is to turn table legs. It was a bit of a squeeze to fit a 30 inch leg onto my 3520A, but since I am a furniture maker as well. that is essential.
    Thanks for the thought, Reed. Yes, I agree that if I were turning table legs, the longer bed of the 3520 would be the right choice. Here's a great example of getting the lathe that matches the kind work you're interested in doing. In our case, none of us had any expectation of turning furniture legs. The interests lay in boxes, bowls and other small projects. Our interests meant that we didn't expect to need length, but we didn't want to be limited on swing capacity or overall stability that a full size lathe provides. Since the PM 2020B has an optional bed extension, we figured if someone came into our group wanting to turn longer stock, we could add the bed extension and not lose out. And if we never added it, the smaller bed length would better fit into the limited space we have available in our shop.

The Record Power Coronet Regent is an interesting machine. Rotating/pivoting & sliding headstock, outrigger capability for outboard turning, and 2HP/220v. The only drawback of concern may be that it's a bit 'lightweight' across the board in terms of build and actual weight (less than 400 lbs overall). Around $2,400, though I haven't found one in stock for certain, yet. I could see making use of the pivoting headstock a lot of access and saving the old man back that I have . Default swing is 18" but it's easy to get more via slide, pivot, or roatate to outboard of I understand correctly. Interesting feature set but I've zero experience first or second hand about Record Power machines or the company.

Someone gave me a video demo of the Record Power Coronet Regent lathe and it's definitely a contender for me due to its ergonomic features. The bed extension and outrigger are affordable. 18" swing (39" w/ outrigger). Slowest speed is 200rpm. 2hp motor and a 3 step pulley system. The included under bed shelf can be loaded up with tools or bags of cement/sand to add weight, if needed. The 320~375lb weight is one of my main concerns. How much of one I don't know? A less than $3000 price tag with outrigger and bed extension is nice. Some concern about ability to use a vacuum chuck with it.

That brings me back to the Laguna 2436. Outboard turning, sliding headstock, side mount or end of lathe lowered extension all are features and two of those include the tailstock being able to be used. Laguna sells a vacuum chuck for their lathes, a plus. 610lbs. 3hp motor. 50rpm lowest speed. Only 2 step pulleys. Spindle lock will require a workaround. I do really like the look and feel plus my experience w/ Laguna lathes. $4000 price tag is fine.

The Harvey T60s has sliding headstock but no outboard turning and the motor still is a bit of an unknown. Swing away tailstock a nice feature. 24" swing, 2hp (servo) motor, 60rpm lowest speed, 726lbs. Still need to find out the truth about cost. Only 2 step pulleys. Looks great and very solidly built. Listed at $5300 in some places and $3500 in others.

Everyone knows the 5yr warranty, weight (700+lbs), and gereral info on the Powermatics. $4000 price tag

Mass/weight vs power vs ergonomics....

Also, turning outboard on some lathes is done tailstock-free. While others find a way to incorporate being able to use the tailstock at the end and/or outboard, or even on the side near the headstock with a lower bed extension for additional capacity. Why is this important or not for some lathes vs others?
    Last edited by Allen Mattsen; 03-26-2021 at 8:16 PM. Reason: Tailstock question added

I really liked the 2020B also until I found out that the minimum height from spindle to floor is 44", okay for someone who is in the 5'9" - 6' range but I'm not that height and my current lathe is set at 42" (could possibly 1" more at 43"). Otherwise that is a great lathe. Seems like the 3520C is a great choice and not that much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    I really liked the 2020B also until I found out that the minimum height from spindle to floor is 44", okay for someone who is in the 5'9" - 6' range but I'm not that height and my current lathe is set at 42" (could possibly 1" more at 43"). Otherwise that is a great lathe. Seems like the 3520C is a great choice and not that much more.
    I need 45"+ floor to spindle height. Ideally the riser blocks and feet would extend the 3520C up toward 46 or more. I'm nearly 6'3. My Laguna 1216, sitting on a desk is at about 44.5 and it's spindle is close to elbow height, as suggested, but I think comfortable for me would be higher by a significant margin. Alternatively, a lathe that has a wheel kit that provides mobility and added height such a as the Laguna could get me there *and* be mobile, too. So many details to consider.

That is true, but the 2020B doesn't have the same legs as the 3520C; no risers, only adjustable feet to add height to the starting point of 44". It shouldn't be a problem for you since I believe it is adjustable up to at least 46" with the feet. It just doesn't work for me.

Question: how important is weight in a full-sized lathe? I'm having trouble navigating the differences in weights as some are 300-ish lbs and some are closer to 700 lbs. Feedback needed on this please.

I understand stability and vibration to some extent and I won't be doing gigantic logs necessarily, but I will be hollowing, probably coring, and mounting some logs and larger pieces as well a doing resin work. Can I get away with a lathe on the lower end of weight or is it simply: the heavier the better?

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Mattsen View Post
    Question: how important is weight in a full-sized lathe? I'm having trouble navigating the differences in weights as some are 300-ish lbs and some are closer to 700 lbs. Feedback needed on this please.

I understand stability and vibration to some extent and I won't be doing gigantic logs necessarily, but I will be hollowing, probably coring, and mounting some logs and larger pieces as well a doing resin work. Can I get away with a lathe on the lower end of weight or is it simply: the heavier the better?
    As with most things related to woodturning, what is best depends on what you turn. Any out-of-balance condition such as when roughing a blank or when turning something with non-homogeneous density (more dense on one side) can cause vibration which a heavier lathe will better absorb. Some people who like to turn larger and/or unbalanced things often add weight to the lathe. A guy I know would use long pipe clamps to fasten his lathe to the garage wall. Some people have fastened the lathes to the floor. Adding weight can let you "get away" with turning unbalanced things on a smaller lathe but keep in mind that a smaller lathe likely has less sturdy components (spindle, bearings, etc) which can be affected by wear or even break from the increased stress. For the uses you mention I think you would be far happier with a heavier lathe.

BTW, the two lathes I keep in the shop are the PM3520b and Jet1642. One is just over 400 lbs and the other is over 700 lbs with the bed extension. Both are capable but there's a big difference between the two when turning something unbalanced, even off-axis pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Mattsen View Post
    Someone gave me a video demo of the Record Power Coronet Regent lathe and it's definitely a contender for me due to its ergonomic features. The bed extension and outrigger are affordable. 18" swing (39" w/ outrigger). Slowest speed is 200rpm. 2hp motor and a 3 step pulley system. The included under bed shelf can be loaded up with tools or bags of cement/sand to add weight, if needed. The 320~375lb weight is one of my main concerns. How much of one I don't know? A less than $3000 price tag with outrigger and bed extension is nice. Some concern about ability to use a vacuum chuck with it.

That brings me back to the Laguna 2436. Outboard turning, sliding headstock, side mount or end of lathe lowered extension all are features and two of those include the tailstock being able to be used. Laguna sells a vacuum chuck for their lathes, a plus. 610lbs. 3hp motor. 50rpm lowest speed. Only 2 step pulleys. Spindle lock will require a workaround. I do really like the look and feel plus my experience w/ Laguna lathes. $4000 price tag is fine.

The Harvey T60s has sliding headstock but no outboard turning and the motor still is a bit of an unknown. Swing away tailstock a nice feature. 24" swing, 2hp (servo) motor, 60rpm lowest speed, 726lbs. Still need to find out the truth about cost. Only 2 step pulleys. Looks great and very solidly built. Listed at $5300 in some places and $3500 in others.

Everyone knows the 5yr warranty, weight (700+lbs), and gereral info on the Powermatics. $4000 price tag

Mass/weight vs power vs ergonomics....

Also, turning outboard on some lathes is done tailstock-free. While others find a way to incorporate being able to use the tailstock at the end and/or outboard, or even on the side near the headstock with a lower bed extension for additional capacity. Why is this important or not for some lathes vs others?
    I have the Laguna 2436 lathe with all the fruit, one of my better decisions.

I have also watched a demonstration and asked a zillion questions on the Record Power Coronet lathe; I have also turned on a Coronet lathe. The Coronet lathe is a very well made unit, but some features make me wonder. The minimum speed is almost too fast if you have a heavy imbalanced piece of material at 200rpm, but one usually can work around that by switching on and off until you make initial balancing cuts. Not great but doable. I assume the minimum spindle speed is there because the maximum spindle speed is 3500rpm (I think), so something has to give.

My previous lathe was the Nova with a minimum speed of 178rpm, which was problematic quite a few times over the years I had it. That minimum speed and the fact it was a belt speed change lathe made me look elsewhere.

Today I turned a wet trunk log on my Laguna 2436 that was around 700mm long by 250mm diameter. (28" x 10") it was severely imbalanced and my starting speed was somewhere around 70rpm on the low speed setting; seamlessly stepping up to 800rpm (ish) to finish what I needed to do to this bit of timber.

The work around for the spindle lock for the Laguna 2436 is easy as anything, a couple of years ago I made a temporary solution; it is still temporary.

I turn big-ish bowls at the end of the lathe, using the bed extension in the drop position. The tail stock riser as well as the tool rest riser, and away one goes. The wheel kit is there and is noticeable, sort of, but one just works around it and now I don't even notice it.

I have the two lights and they are brilliant, I'm in the age bracket my where my eyesight is diminishing somewhat and I need bright lights. I have super bright LED lighting above the lathe, but the two 60W Tungsten lights are terrific, and superb at getting directed light into the recesses of bowls.

Mick.

IMG_20190204_155314_resized_20190404_044352155.jpgBig_Oak_Blank_Web.jpgSpindle_Lock_IMG_20190110_114926.jpgSpindle_Lock_IMG_20190110_114942.jpg

I appreciate all the feedback. Measuring my shop space I think the Harvey may actually be too big! Specs say 90". Surely that can't be right? I'm not sure how to reconcile the footprint vs the length specs given (below, rounded):

length/width/height: 90x25x57"
    footprint: 56x25"

I have to say that unless I firmly decide I "need" a rotating headstock (RP): I like the steel bed ways, 3hp, and 24" swing of the Laguna 2436. The scalability of features, including a wheel kit, swing-away tailstock, and easily identifiable vacuum chuck are all nice things. Waiting until the end of May, isn't, of course ideal (backordered). I've read but haven't seen that they sell riser pads to increase the height?

The Harvey stands at 44" to spindle, which is a bout 3" shorter than I want but I'm sure something could be figured out. The Harvey looks very nice and there isn't much not to like other than perhaps a more expensive repair should the motor have issues. The motor is an unknown in many ways, to me. Priced less than the Laguna 2436 and the tailstock pendant is standard. I can't see on in person, however.

Unfortunately, the Record Powers are sold out everywhere. Wait TBD if I go that route. It all seems a bit more light-duty than a 'last lathe' type purchase, but my mind could change still.

I may have already pulled the trigger on ordering a new machine but my Durango broke down a few days ago and it's a motor problem (5.7L Hemi V8) and likely a bent lifter or something perhaps worse. So, I didn't want to drop 4K on a lathe until I get a firm estimate on my truck. Sadly, priorities sometimes get in the way, lol. That said I've still budgeted for the lathe. I hope to decide in the next few days.

Perhaps familiarity with the Laguna 1216 gives me a comfort level. I'm going down the the local Woodcrafters to put my hands on the 1836 (in stock, actually) and see how that machine looks and feels in person. I like the added HP, swing, and controls of the 2436 vs the 1836 but they're similar enough to get a good feel for.

Ultimately, the only choices with a "good" warranty are the PM3520c and Rikon 70-3040 (5yrs each). Haven't totally ruled out the old standby, PM. Rikon no sliding headstock or tailstock pendant (out).