Thread: Worms Holes and the Worms that Made Them

Worms Holes and the Worms that Made Them

This is a "just for the fun of it" post...

So I was given some mangrove trimmings (logs and yes, they were legally trimmed) a while ago and finally got around to doing a little mill work. Started with a small piece (maybe 3" diameter), ran it through the band saw and then the planer and thought this stuff is pretty cool looking. Picture below.

Then grabbed a larger piece (maybe 6-7" diameter), flattened a side, then through the band saw and boom...noticed a bunch of worms holes. Looked a little closer and noticed something I've never seen. It appeared I had cut a worm in half using the band saw. Started to pick at it and it moved. Holy cow...this thing it still alive. Turns out where there is one, there are many...lol.

So these mangroves were trimmed between three and four years ago and the worms were still alive. I was shocked. Cut a few more pieces and kept finding them. Let's just say they seemed fat and happy. The picture below is just a sample.

20200920_173121.jpg 20210313_130808.jpg
    A wannabe woodworker!

I've had ones that looked like that in pine cut and air dried in NYS.

John

They sure look like the Agrilus borers I see in birch and ash around St. Louis. Not sure how long they live, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Droege View Post
    They sure look like the Agrilus borers I see in birch and ash around St. Louis. Not sure how long they live, though.
    I guess that's what surprised me most...the things were still very much alive!
    A wannabe woodworker!

I found a similar one when I was turning a green bowl blank!
    20210224_235124.jpg