Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What was I thinking? (Home Depot plywood)

I bought some of that Radiata plywood, a few years ago, to build a cabinet base for my sharpening sink. The cabinet sat in the shop for a couple of months, while I got sidetracked on other stuff. It grew the most horrible looking mold on it. There was no mold on anything else in that shop, so we carried it outside, quickly, and burned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    Deliver to your area eh? Does that mean they would also deliver to my area (aka your old stomping grounds)? I can call and ask of course, but if you happen to know...
    Yes, they will deliver to you no problem. You're even closer to them. Call them, ask for Dave. My mention of "my area" was relative to two delivery days...typically Tuesdays and Thursdays for the truck that comes down here. The driver is great, too. Their outside sales person stops buy about quarterly to chat on the same day he's visiting my cabinetmaker neighbor across the street. He's also very nice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

last 2 projects were shop cabinets, I went out of my way to find Baltic Birch, that stuff was expensive but nice stuff. My shop sells it in 5x5 and 2 grades of 4x8, one may have defects on the outside that have fixed with football shaped patches and the better grade is no defects. There is $55 difference better defect or no defect and since I was painting I went with the cheaper ones. Can't always afford Baltic but its the way to go.

Oddly, after bragging on Purebond at the top of the thread, I pulled a sheet of 1/2" Purebond today at HD and had them cut it in half. Huge delamination in the middle of the sheet. Looked like the glue got skipped between a couple layers for a good 2 sq feet. Pulled a second, cut it, no problems. First time I've seen a problem with Purebond. But, I'll still buy it for the shop projects.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    https://www.truittandwhite.com
    https://www.macbeath.com

Not more than 30 minutes drive from Lafayette.
    Thanks, Peter. Yes, it’s time I made the pilgrimage to MacBeath. I’ve been in my cocoon over here, but that’s over now. Time to go see for myself what they have.

I don’t think I would have considered Truitt & White, since they call their stock ‘building materials.’ But maybe for plywood the next time I need some. I’ll tell you, though, I’m about ready to insist on nothing but Baltic birch from now on.

As a one-off hobbyist I can’t seem to connect with suppliers of professional quality Baltic birch. Many years ago I bought some single sheets from an independent cabinet maker I lived near at that time. They were beautiful: 60x60 inches. Maybe I’ll approach a cabinet shop near me now.

Bob, if you're venturing forth to "more capable" suppliers, consider pre-finished for your project so you don't have to deal with finishing the interiors for any portion of it that will have doors instead of drawers. It's a big timesaver and also pretty durable stuff. There's a little bit of additional material cost, but a big reduction in your own labor.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As I remember, Truitt & White usually stocked 3/4", 1/2" and 1/4" birch or maple veneered sheet goods (and Festool!). Either way, they're only about 5 minutes from MacBeath. Also, Hida Tool is conveniently close to both of them.

Many ways to blow all your money at that end of Berkeley..

Bob, I feel your pain. I’ve also noticed that I can no longer get plywood from the box stores as good as a few years ago. I was buying my lumber from Macbeath in Berkeley too, until I discovered a better source in San Leandro, Moore Newton: https://moorenewton.com/.

They are not as well known since they deal mainly with professionals but they also sell to the public. Their inventory is huge, an incredible selection of hardwoods, plywood and other sheet goods in multiple thicknesses (thickni?). Their prices are also better than Macbeath. I live in San Francisco but it’s worth the drive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Andrews View Post
    Bob, I feel your pain. I’ve also noticed that I can no longer get plywood from the box stores as good as a few years ago. I was buying my lumber from Macbeath in Berkeley too, until I discovered a better source in San Leandro, Moore Newton: https://moorenewton.com/.

They are not as well known since they deal mainly with professionals but they also sell to the public. Their inventory is huge, an incredible selection of hardwoods, plywood and other sheet goods in multiple thicknesses (thickni?). Their prices are also better than Macbeath. I live in San Francisco but it’s worth the drive to me.
    Tim, Moore Newton looks intriguing. I'll definitely get myself down there. Thanks.
    Bob