Thread: Two beautiful mahogany tables and matching benches.

Blog Entries

Two beautiful mahogany tables and matching benches.

We were commissioned to build two tables; both solid mahogany. One is oval and the other rectangle. The rectangle one is 10’ long, 42” wide. The oval around 6’ long. The larger one has a shaker leg made on a tapering jig. The smaller one I designed a base to match the curves in the top. It was designed to be made on the CNC in parts that all fit together. The base has a trestle with a wedged through-tenon.

This customer wanted a map of the Virgin Islands on the top. They brought us the ugliest map ever with this horrible comic script mixed with old western gothic with serifs. I hate it. We begged her to do a different map, but this is what she wanted. She also wanted it stained dark walnut. I refused. No way. The map won’t even show up! Finally I agreed to a light walnut stain quickly wiped on and off. I actually kind of like it, but the map doesn’t show up as well as it would have if I had just kept it natural mahogany.

Everything is solid mahogany. No veneers, no filler wood.

here is a video of the oval table:

https://youtu.be/Jzpygtvl6OE

Here are some pics:
    D1376A42-A294-47FA-BC69-E21297231BD9.jpg 456CE363-81E4-417D-9D6B-99D1C0CE8BC8.jpg 7441CD13-4FAF-4C00-B607-747402F031EE.jpg FD63771E-6294-4DB3-8C0D-960C16C0028F.jpg 67661A8F-AE69-4E6E-B3C4-B42FB27C4ED6.jpg

I like those designs Malcolm and the wood is stunning. It's probably for the best that the map doesn't show up as well with the darker stain!

I expected to see some dowels on the bottom holding on the breadboard ends but I don't see any. How are they attached?

John

The trestle base on the oval table is way cool - the curves on the ends and the stretcher work really well. Nice job
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Those are beautiful tables, even with the silly map. Very nice work Malcolm!!!
    A wannabe woodworker!

Nice stuff. I especially like the bench ,looks like flowing water.

I like both tables, beautiful work Malcolm.

Beautiful tables nice work

Nicely done Malcom!
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Beautiful work. Kudo's to your team.

I am also curious how the breadboard ends are attached.
    Wow, gorgeous tables though!
    Cheers,

Tim

You and your team have been on a real roll recently. Great work as always! Thanks for sharing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Blog Entries
    Sorry for the “hit and run”. Just now able to reply. I wondered if anyone would notice the breadboard. I didn’t get pics! Ugh. Well- we got a new CNC- so we now have four of them. Scott wanted to use it as much as possible. As you know, I’m an old-school guy, but I am applying old school ideas to new school tech. There are tenons with a dovetail shape routed, and pockets kind of like a picture frame t-slot, but larger- where you have a large entry hole and slide it up into the t-slots, except it is dovetailed. Too much work, but it solved clamping issues for a 10-foot table. Open to yay’s and nay’s on this. I actually didn’t want to do it that way. It allows for movement, and is solid, but I wanted to just route dowel pins. It’s a long story- I lost an argument, so this was an alternative I suggested so Scott could say the CNC made everything easier. It actually kind of did/kind of didn’t. I didn’t want the big breadboards to begin with, but we had to do something to make it the length needed. We usually get 14’ lumber, but this time all they had was slightly over 9’. I needed 10’.

You guys are too good.

Blog Entries
    Side note: the shop is a total mess. Building two tables, 30 flag boxes, a boat, two store display shelves, and a kitchen full of cabinets, and multiple doors all at the same time takes a toll on a small open-air shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Side note: the shop is a total mess.
    As it should be. Never trust a skinny chef.

Beautiful work Malcolm!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”