Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to move a 150lb bench top drill press

If absolutely no help is available, then removing the motor, then the head, and then the column will make everything relatively easy to move.

This is a lot of trouble for a tool that is barely worth the price of shipping...

Sell the drill press locally and send the money to your son.

Disassemble it into pieces, then crate it up. You may have to pack in two crates to limit the weight per crate (Usuall around 75#.). Either take it to the bus station, or local Fastenal. Both buses and Fastenal do freight to closest location. Way cheaper than a freight company.

An easy, cheap solution is to buy a $20 block and tackle on Amazon, and some extra rope, and use some 2x4's or 4x4's and some heavy gauge bolts or screws to build a hoist point (or if your rafters are exposed just screw a sturdy hook into that). With 150 lbs, 2x4's, sturdily connected will be fine. Double up the cross piece. I have done this several times with no problem. For example, when I had to mount my bandsaw on its base, that was a ~250 lb lift that I was not able to do myself. PM me if you want any tips.
    Last edited by Dan Gaylin; 03-17-2021 at 11:01 AM.