Thread: assembly table top

assembly table top

I built an assembly table years ago and it has a 4 x 8 sheet of masonite as a final top that sits loose. It can be reversed and replaced as it wears. I was thinking of paying for the cheapest sheet of 4 x 8 formica I can get at a BORG in hopes it would last longer? Not sure it would hold up any better? thanks brian
    Brian

Formica is more durable than Masonite. A big advantage is that glue doesn’t stick to it.

And spilled drinks don't pucker formica.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    I built an assembly table years ago and it has a 4 x 8 sheet of masonite as a final top that sits loose. It can be reversed and replaced as it wears. I was thinking of paying for the cheapest sheet of 4 x 8 formica I can get at a BORG in hopes it would last longer? Not sure it would hold up any better? thanks brian
    I think it probably would hold up better, but at a price premium. You also have to deal with the hassle of laminating it to a substrate. You could replace the hardboard like 4 more times to equal the cost.

I've always been a fan of the simple waxed piece of hardboard for it's availability and cost. But I've been looking for an excuse to try this phenolic-faced plywood. Woodcraft sells the smaller sheets at a ridiculous markup, so this price seems to good to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    I think it probably would hold up better, but at a price premium. You also have to deal with the hassle of laminating it to a substrate. You could replace the hardboard like 4 more times to equal the cost.

I've always been a fan of the simple waxed piece of hardboard for it's availability and cost. But I've been looking for an excuse to try this phenolic-faced plywood. Woodcraft sells the smaller sheets at a ridiculous markup, so this price seems to good to be true.
    Great idea but too thick for my top. I have an edge with recess for 3/16 thickness. Thanks
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Formica is more durable than Masonite. A big advantage is that glue doesn’t stick to it.
    That's the big problem, glue. I might try it once to see if it lasts. Thanks Brian
    Brian

My outfeed table for my table saw is a 4'x6' double thickness 3/4" plywood screwed and glued then covered with formica. I do all my glue ups there because of the easy cleanup!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That's the big problem, glue. I might try it once to see if it lasts. Thanks Brian
    The weird thing is that yellow glue doesn't bond to the front face, but it bonds very well to the back face. Dunno how they do that, but it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    The weird thing is that yellow glue doesn't bond to the front face, but it bonds very well to the back face. Dunno how they do that, but it is true.
    I think Formica and similar laminates are a thin layer of plastic on what is essentially a paper substrate. So the back face should be an ideal gluing surface.

A couple coats of paste wax on tempered hardboard should allow glue drips to "pop" off.

Not trying to dissuade you from the formica. I actually prefer it from an aesthetics perspective.

I have used 1/4" or 5mm plywood, masonite, hardboard and plastic laminate. Now I use a 4 x 8' sheet of FRP plastic sheet from Home Depot on my assembly table. One side is smooth, one side is nubby. It's very slick, glue won't stick to it, more durable than plastic laminate. It's the stuff they put on institutional and commercial restroom walls.

Blog Entries
    I prefer melamine as the sacrificial top

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    I have used 1/4" or 5mm plywood, masonite, hardboard and plastic laminate. Now I use a 4 x 8' sheet of FRP plastic sheet from Home Depot on my assembly table. One side is smooth, one side is nubby. It's very slick, glue won't stick to it, more durable than plastic laminate. It's the stuff they put on institutional and commercial restroom walls.
    Good tip! I'm going to try this on my upcoming assembly table build. Our local Lowes carries this for very reasonable $$
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

The plywood roof sheathing with aluminum foil laminated to it looks interesting but I think the foil would quickly rip.
    Bill D

BLO or Tung oil and then wax it, WAY cheaper than formica, but that's your choice. I bought 48"x96' piece of formica from Home depot for $60, that was for a router table and my table saw extension.