Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tenons with dado stack

For a tenon, you are not cutting through the work. There should be no reason you can't put a rubber-padded block over the part to be cut. I use the Rockler Bench Dog pads; they're grippy and great. They can help you keep force in three directions at once: downward, into the fence, and back into the miter gauge as you push the gauge forward. I would see this operation as safe.

https://www.rockler.com/learn/how-to...th-a-table-saw

This video from Rockler shows tenons being cut several ways with the fence and miter gauge for the non through cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I run right up against the fence. No chance of accidentally drifting beyond the cut line. Why do you think the piece is more likely to rotate if against the fence? If anything, it would serve as an additional constraint.
    Because if it does twist and catch it would probably also twist my face. Which might not be all bad... your method is somewhat safe if your miter gauge is lined with sandpaper. A smooth face on the miter gauge has too frequently Allowed slippage in my usage.

Try a sliding table.
    You can set stops to make similarly sized pieces. You can also add in toggle clamps to hold the work down.

A good use for a table saw miter fence is to get another one, and take the guide bars off. Screw them to the bottom of a sliding table.