Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

15 Mar 2021

Greetings,
    I got the new-to-me dual drum sander and the shaper up and running. Really like them both!!!
    Made a tablesaw e-stop out of what I had in the shop...I like using stuff I already have:

tablesaw_estop.jpg

I also made really good progress on The LOML's kitchen pantry expansion:

pantry_expansion_before_paint.jpg

And I helped my #2 son get materials and start making his own tv stand/entertainment center. He's just getting started in preparing for moving out. He now see's the need to learn woodworking so he can better afford furniture for his soon and coming apartment.

joes_tv_stand.jpg

I'm helping him learn the process, teaching him how to use the machines and tools to get it done. He's doing well so far!

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Moving slowly, and inefficiently, but forward nonetheless on my kitchen buffet/hutch project. Fortunately there isn't a clock ticking, or Management glaring with her arms crossed and foot tapping. Over the weekend I did a dry assembly to confirm that the inner panels fit. After making some adjustments that they needed, I began coloring them to match the other visible parts of the cabinet, along with the corner legs/stiles that were left out of the dry fit.
    IMG_3699, 800.jpg
    Chuck Taylor

Wow Dennis, you accomplished a lot, I feel like a slacker now.

I completed the 2 glass doors for the TV stand, and the small glass door for a friends cabinet.

I also did some cooking and received my Covid-19 vaccination............Regards, Rod.

Wow, so much progress for everyone over the weekend.

I helped our son with the rough wiring for his living room remodel on Saturday. Sunday I finalized the design of the spool cabinet and started selecting wood off the reclaimed pile from our home remodel. Most of it is whatever soft wood they had available, but it is all old growth since the home was constructed in 1838 when this area was frontier. It is very straight grained like Douglas Fir, but obviously not due to our location. The selection process is long winded, as most of this is rough sawn. I de-nail, then run thru the drum sander with 40 grit, re-check for nails and then begin choosing faces, pieces etc. Of course, this is for enjoyment, with no deadlines, so I can work at whatever pace I choose or my body allows.

Glad you're getting shop time, Dennis!

I actually spent some time in the shop last week doing some work for a client...he had a stack of charcuterie boards that needed to be personalized (I previously cut them for him) as he does resin inlay. He also had a couple of "hollow cookies" that needed to be stabilized prior to him doing some interesting "river" table things he has planned for them. Bow-ties got the nod and my big, yellow shop assistant (CNC) did the deed.

IMG_E9100.jpg

Otherwise, I've been working on my "prepare this property for sale" punch list which is a combination of a bunch of little things as well as some quality time with a paint brush. Hopefully, the weather will continue to improve so I can attend to the outside stuff, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Got all the parts for the 12 drawers needed for my desks cut to final size, grooved for the drawer bottoms, all the dovetails cut, and the inside surfaces sanded and ready for prefinishing. Should be able to slide them into the desks in a couple days. Then on to the drawer false fronts. Because the drawers are inset, and the bottom drawers are tall (file size) I plan to lay up a panel from rift sawn stock and cut the drawer fronts from that to minimize potential problems with wood movement. I have some 8/4 stock left over from making the legs. It's all plain sawn since I used any rift sawn areas from the edges for the legs, so I'll have to do the rip and flip thing to make the panels.

I'd be a little further along but I lost a day or so dealing with a problem with my cyclone, but I think that's all squared away now.

I did get outside a little to get started on a few chores; we had some days in the 60's and spring fever really hit. That usually lasts until about the third grass cutting One of the chores is replacing the wheel studs on my zero turn mower. My bad, I let the lug nuts get loose and the wheels chewed up the studs before I noticed it. Easy job, the hardest part was finding the right replacement studs.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I feel ya on the spring fever Jim! Was so nice to be outside for a bit without being bundled up.

I finally finished up those pesky additional 240v outlets that have been discussed ad nauseum in the workshops thread. Took about 3 times longer than it should have (that always seems to be the case with anything I do) because I had to pull everything out of each box and install nm clamps, and I had to trouble shoot 2 loose connections. Everything all done now though so glad to be done with that. I also took my shopvac out of the mobile stand I built for it a long time back and installed it and the bucket/dust deputy on the wall and ran a longer hose overhead to hopefully provide easy access without having to lug that mobile cart around and keeping the hose out of my way.

Next up, going to install a kayak hoist on the other side of the garage (I finally bought a kayak a few weeks back, looking forward to using it this summer), and calibrate my new-to-me jointer.

I finally got done with making a rocking chair. It's made to my mother's specifications, she wanted one that had room to put her arms inside the chair arms at the back, and that was taller and had a higher back so it fits her better. It's primitive, with some mortise and tenon joinery and some screws.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I finally got done with making a rocking chair. It's made to my mother's specifications, she wanted one that had room to put her arms inside the chair arms at the back, and that was taller and had a higher back so it fits her better. It's primitive, with some mortise and tenon joinery and some screws.
    Very nice chair! I also like that you've got a couple of invisible men overlooking the shop

Thanks, it's very rustic but was intended to be comfortable rather than dignified. Actually those are invisible women, and they're overlooking a sort of storage/packing/laundry drying/sewing machine operating sort of room. When invisible persons come to the actual shop they get awfully dusty, which is discouraging to them. My mother is going to put the kind of finish on the rocker that she prefers, which is mineral oil followed by mineral oil/beeswax mix, repeated till it builds a little bit of protection.

I finished up the hand plane "wall" that will mount onto the outside of my wine cellar. Nothing fancy, just plywood and poplar. Gotta take advantage of all these sorts of spaces in my cramped garage. Couldn't get any finish onto it on Sunday, too chilly and windy. But it's California so the temps will be in the low 60s soon enough.

2021-03-14 16.47.17.jpg

Also built a partial prototype of a spice rack with tilt-out racks using CA glue to hold things together. Never done that before (both this much of a prototype and the use of CA glue), and I've got to say I'm impressed as hell with the CA glue. The prototype was so easy to make as a result, and I can reuse some of the wood "scraps" that I decided I like well enough for the finished piece. Found a couple of things that would have been sub-optimal had I just gone ahead and built it, so all in all very productive.