Thread: Griz G0766 Height Question(s)

Griz G0766 Height Question(s)

I'm getting my new Grizzly G0766 lathe sometime this week and I'm think of building a table I can set the bed on to attach the legs.

Can anyone tell me what the height is from the underside of the lathe bed to the floor with or without the levelers?

Second question: Is there anyway to add or create a mobile base for a monster the size of the G0766 lathe?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
    I'm getting my new Grizzly G0766 lathe sometime this week and I'm think of building a table I can set the bed on to attach the legs.
    Can anyone tell me what the height is from the underside of the lathe bed to the floor with or without the levelers?
    Second question: Is there anyway to add or create a mobile base for a monster the size of the G0766 lathe?
    Thanks in advance!

I don't have the 0766 but I unloaded my PM3520b from a trailer and assembled it by myself. I don't know what the bed itself weighs but overall (from the specs I found on the internet) the PM weighs 682lb vs 584 for the Grizzly. I lifted the bed on one end with a floor jack with blocking, attached the legs on one end, then repeated with the other end. It took some care but didn't take more than about 20 minutes. Probably could also attach the legs with the thing laying in it's side then roll it up with a jack and pry bars but that could be trickier.

Then scooted to it's new home and attached the headstock, etc.

I assembled another heavy lathe in a shop with exposed rafters by lifting with a small hoist.

There are plenty of ways to make a mobile base. There have been threads on this if you can find them.

JKJ

I bought the 500 lb pneumatic table from Harbor Freight and built a box that fits tightly onto the platform to raise it high enough to lift the lathe bed above the legs plus casters. Those casters are about 3.5" high and are rated to hold 2400 lbs (not sure I believe that, but the lathe plus ballast is less than 900 lbs, so I'm assuming I'll be fine). The casters are from Amazon and you can adjust them so that the lathe sits firmly on the ground. Not good for constant mobility, but fine for occasional moves. Because of the height of the casters, I also built a platform to stand on.

Grizzly 1.jpg

For a mobile base, check out Carl Holmgren on YouTube. He has a very nice design

Looks like the Carl Holmgren design will work pretty well.

I don't understand the need to go to all that trouble/expense. I assembled mine by myself. Just attach one leg with the other end of the bed on the other leg set against a wall. Then attach the other leg. The legs will free-stand. You really don't have to lift much of the combined weight. A bit of a short-term balancing act, but once you get one bolt started, it's really pretty easy. It was a completely none-eventful task. I think you could also assemble on its side/upside down and pitch-pole it upright too. Of course, if you can't lift 100 lbs, these methods might hurt you.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 03-15-2021 at 7:55 PM.

I had a friend help me assemble my G0766. We had the crate in the back of my pickup and unpacked it piece by piece. Like Tom said, the legs will free stand. We just measured the distance and set the legs about where they needed to be. The two of us easily manhandled the bed and set it on top of the legs. Then it was just a matter of getting a few bolts in. The more awkward part is putting the headstock on without dinging up the ways but that's just a matter of being careful. The headstock is heavy. You don't need a body builder to help but another set of strong hands will be useful. On second thought, a body builder would be a good option.

I own a "cherry picker" (pneumatic hoist) and used it (with the help of an elderly friend to steady things and screw in bolts) to raise the bed and then we slid in one set of legs followed by the second legs. I also used the cherry picker to raise the headstock. That made the job really easy. It perhaps was a bit of an overkill, but I already owned it.

As others have said, as long as you can lift 100 lbs you can do it yourself. The headstock is the real test. It's the heaviest part. You can remove the motor which will lighten it up. There's only two bolts that hold it in place and they are designed to be easy to get at as they are used to tighten the belt. The only other thing is the wiring going to the motor. My plan was to leave the headstock at one end of the bed while I installed the legs on the other and then slide the headstock up the bed to the side that now had the legs installed. But I was able to use the stuff I had to lift the headstock.

You can assemble the legs to the bed, upside down on the floor, and then stand it up. Headstocks are not statically balanced, so they are a real pain to move around...

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I don't understand the need to go to all that trouble/expense. I assembled mine by myself. Just attach one leg with the other end of the bed on the other leg set against a wall. Then attach the other leg. The legs will free-stand. You really don't have to lift much of the combined weight. A bit of a short-term balancing act, but once you get one bolt started, it's really pretty easy. It was a completely none-eventful task. I think you could also assemble on its side/upside down and pitch-pole it upright too. Of course, if you can't lift 100 lbs, these methods might hurt you.
    When I was planning how to receive and assemble my lathe, my priority was that it be easy and painless. I have a bad back, as do my son (who weight-lifts) and wife. The hydraulic table, moving the lathe bed and headstock off the pickup and over the legs was a great back saver.

Would it be possibly for someone who owns the G0766 to take a quick measurement from the floor to the underside of the lathe bed for me?

Thanks kindly!

"As others have said, as long as you can lift 100 lbs you can do it yourself. "

Uh, yeah... That may be the problem... :-)

Patrick Johnson: the dimension is 28-9/16 inches for the current V2 legs. This is from the bottom of the legs (not including the levelers) to the underside of the bed/top of the legs.

Thanks so very much Brice! UPS Freight is supposed to deliver the lathe today.