Thread: Full Spectrum or Thunder

Full Spectrum or Thunder

So I’m interested in getting into engraving for fun not profit. I’m thinking about a Muse Desktop ($3,200) or a Thunder Mini 60 ($5,100). The Thunder seems to be a more complete package. My questions are:

Is it better in terms of ease of use and money to by the package with cooling and air or get the individual component parts and DIY it?

What machine is a better value for a hobbyist?

Having a USA based company is important. Which would give better support?

Do I need a camera?

I understand that the answers to all of these questions is “it depends.” I know it’s unlikely that any one of you has both of these machines to compare them. If you have one of the other can you tell me about your experience? I would appreciate your input. Thank you.

thunder best bet

you ill get no suppot from full spectrum avoid like covid
    Quote Originally Posted by vince mastrosimone View Post
    So I’m interested in getting into engraving for fun not profit. I’m thinking about a Muse Desktop ($3,200) or a Thunder Mini 60 ($5,100). The Thunder seems to be a more complete package. My questions are:

Is it better in terms of ease of use and money to by the package with cooling and air or get the individual component parts and DIY it?

What machine is a better value for a hobbyist?

Having a USA based company is important. Which would give better support?

Do I need a camera?

I understand that the answers to all of these questions is “it depends.” I know it’s unlikely that any one of you has both of these machines to compare them. If you have one of the other can you tell me about your experience? I would appreciate your input. Thank you.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

If your looking for top notch support have a look at Rabbit Laser USA a few bucks more but great support and a top notch machine.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I don't own a laser yet, but it seems like Thunder overall has better components. I've
    been looking at these machines for a few months, and Thunder has some interesting features built-in to some of their bigger machines. Thunder does a webinar every Thursday. I think it's on Youtube.

Good luck!

EveryWhere I look online they recommend a different machine. This is very confusing. It seems like you pays your money and you takes your chances. But I will check out the products from rabbit. Thanks everyone for your comments.

I bought a Thunder Nova 35 last year. I haven't used it very much yet. I chose them because They looked like they had some nice features/price and they import them and ship them to you from the states. During the ordering and shipping process they were super. They kept me informed and were very responsive when I called them. I bought a rotary with it and it came from a small company that custom builds them. Call me impressed.

Thanks for the reply Carey.

No problem. If you have any questions let me know.

I've never heard anything good about Full Spectrum.

Rabbit customers seem happy, and Thunder seems to have a good rep too.

Stay away from eBay machines, Glowforge too.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

I bought mine from Ebay from the seller Goldraydigital Came real quick as they are stocked on the East and West coast great price and very helpful needed a replacement fan for the chiller and they shipped it out right after I showed a video of what it was doing

While care should be taken buying lasers & such off ebay, I bought two 30w fiber's for less combined than my direct-from-china Triumph. No complaints.

One piece of advice when perusing ebay for a laser etc, check out the seller's other auctions. Do NOT buy a laser from anyone who also sells totally non-industrial items such as baby carriages, printer ink, etc... My ebay lasers were sold under the "Vevor" brand, and the sellers (back when I got them at least) sold mostly industrial items, many of them also Vevor branded.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Aragon View Post
    I don't own a laser yet, but it seems like Thunder overall has better components. I've
    been looking at these machines for a few months, and Thunder has some interesting features built-in to some of their bigger machines. Thunder does a webinar every Thursday. I think it's on Youtube.

Good luck!
    Looks like an old question. But here goes my 2cents I own a Full Spectrum and I think they are awesome on customer service!!!! They for sure go the way past the extra mile. I wouldn't hesitate on a FullSpectrum machine.!!!!

Elias

Quote Originally Posted by ELIAS PEREZ View Post
    Looks like an old question. But here goes my 2cents I own a Full Spectrum and I think they are awesome on customer service!!!! They for sure go the way past the extra mile. I wouldn't hesitate on a FullSpectrum machine.!!!!

Elias
    which machine do you own?
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    I've never heard anything good about Full Spectrum.
    There are a bunch of very happy people using them. Their machines are fine. They're not blow-your-socks-off-amazing but I ran mine until I just wore it out, and made a lot of money in the process. People who haven't needed support have been just happily using their lasers for years, and there's an active 3rd party forum out there with lots of satisfied customers. For my next laser I'm planning on doing a semi-custom Lightburn build with LightObject parts.

You won't hear anyone defend their customer support though, that's for sure... you really have to hound them to get any info from them. I'd personally never get a really expensive machine from them, but a lower cost hobby laser? Sure, it's fine. Anything more than that and I'd go with a different company- I just don't see their value-add for the more expensive machines.