Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Rusted in Screws out of Planes

Got Rusted in Screws out of Planes

Hi All,

Getting rusted in machine screws out of a plane that I am working on has been a problem.

However, I finally have had success with some badly rusted in/frozen in machine screws in the last couple of weeks.

The final effort had been to find close fitting screw drivers, putting my weight on the screw head by holding the screw driver against my shoulder, putting my weight on it, and twisting the handle as strongly as I could. I buggered up one screw head a little bit, but the machine screws would not budge. I had fiddled with those screws on and off for a while prior to this, trying other lesser approaches that normally worked and was getting frustrated prior to this.

Time to try a different plan. I then sprayed the screw heads with a lot of AeroKroil, "the oil that creeps." I set the planes in an big old cooking pot, one long past the condition that you would cook with it, and orientated the planes so that the Kroil could be pooled around the screw heads and the pools could be allowed to soak in for several days.

In the meantime, I was telling a close friend at work about the problem, and he mentioned that he had used his drill/impact driver to remove a bolt from his truck engine that he could on budge with a wrench, and suggested that I try that approach, mentioning that I could bring it over and try his drive. Well, I have an impact driver also, one that takes 1/4" hex head bits.

Well, after soaking the first plane two or three days I gave it a go with the impact driver, and the machine screw came out! This one was not as bad as the screws in the 2nd plane.

The second plane was much worse, and the machine screw heads were fairly badly corroded, and some of the plane itself was more rusted than I would like. I should never have bought it. In fact the parts of the plane were so bad that I had bead blasted the lever cap, and you could see that the parts of the lever cap were badly pitted after the corrosion was bead blasted away. (I almost never bead blast smooth parts of planes because it gives them a frosted appearance, so prefer to use fine sandpaper, Scotch Brite pads, and metal polish, but this lever cap was beyond that approach, so nothing was to be lost by bead blasting. I have only used bead blasting on smooth parts of this one plane at this point, but will have to use such on a second pitted plane in the near future.

Thus, I really slathered the Kroil spray and let it set for 9 days. The two screws through the frog into the bed, holding the frog in place, and the one in the back of the frog were the 3 I could not budge. Since the two going into the bed were the bigger problem, I set the plane flat, and soaked the inside of the frog where the screws go into the bed with Kroil, however, I only sprayed the back screw strongly and let is set. Finally we had a relatively warm day, so I put the plane in the sun inside a fairly heavy duty clear plastic bag and waited for it to warm up.

After a couple of hours in the sun, I gave it a go with the impact driver. The machine screws resisted a little at first and then came right out. Same with the one in the back of the frog. YES YES YES!

I was to the point that I would have intentionally broken off the screws had they not come loose, because I had a spare body that I could use, but of course did not want to break the screws off in the body if it could be avoided. The spare body is in much better shape than the original. Now I will be looking for cheap parts for the original body as I have time.

In all cases the upper half of the screw threads were rusty, but the bottom half of the screws was clean. In the case of the second plane, the upper threads on the screws were half filled with rust.

The simple solution is never buy a plane in the corroded state, but once the second plane was mine I was determined to re-hab it.

At any rate, I am now a believer in the soak the screws in Kroil and then use the impact driver.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 03-14-2021 at 5:47 PM.

Kroil is expensive. A cheaper (and better) alternative is a 50/50 mixture of Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and acetone. Mix only what you need in a glass jar and generously brush it on. Be sure to vigorously shake it before use, as it doesn’t mix well. Let it soak in for 2-3 hours, at which time it should be easy to remove with an impact driver and maybe even a screwdriver.

Another effective and inexpensive rust penetrant is 50/50 mix of ATF and brake fluid. I don't know why. 8 or 9 years ago when I left a Chrysler dealership and started with Toyota, I found every tech in the shop using that mix for the most stubborn of fasteners. It works pretty well.

Today I fought another frozen in screw, this time the one that ties the iron to the chip breaker. I could not budge it with a screwdriver.

Same approach taken, soak with Kroil, impact driver applied, and the machine screw came right out.

It sounds like there are a couple of alternatives to the Kroil above, but I think the biggest factor is the impact driver, not the type of penetrating fluid.

At any rate, finding a method that has been a success to get frozen in/rusted in machine screws out has been a happy finding for me, and has made working on restorations much easier.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 03-16-2021 at 9:31 PM.

Hmmm, chipbreaker bolt.....Visegrips on the head of the bolt. Set at an angle to the chipbreaker....One or two good whacks on the visegrips.....bolt will be loose... And, since most of those bolts have a knurled edge for the visegrips to grab onto, without leaving a mark......Use the ones with the round jaws, NOT the straight jaws....better grip....no soaking required..VOE.

Set the iron/chipbreaker on it's side/edge, visegrips at about the 2:00 position Hammer blow to the handle of the visegrips down at the end with the adjuster bolt for the pliers....rarely will need the second whack, unless you are swinging with your purse on the first hit....

Use an impact DRIVER - not an impact wrench.

An impact driver looks like a big steel screwdriver. You whack it with a heavy hammer and it cams the screw out. Very effective.

Impact wrenches are for rusted bolts.

The stanley Proto is a good one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Proto.../dp/B002C5ONG8

John,

The type of impact driver I am writing about is the type that looks much like a drill.

I have had good fortune by soaking them with WD-40 for from three to twenty four hours. They have all come out very easily. I add a drop or two from time to time and give it a try. They come out really nicely.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

You're braver than I am – I'd be nervous about using an impact driver, given the brittleness of cast iron and the possibility of turning a rusted slot-head screw into shrapnel. I'd probably try a wrench on a screwdriver shank first, followed by drilling out the screw second.

Blog Entries
    drilling out the screw
    Left hand drill bits are commonly available. They are useful for drilling out screws. Often the heat of drilling breaks the rust and the screw backs right out.

My tendency is to pass on planes that have that much rust. My rustiest plane was this one > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114373 < Tools were brought with me and the merchant allowed me to check it before purchase.

The Stanley #98 & #99 often have the screw holding the front/reversible part of the skate frozen. Before buying one of those my question to the sellers on ebay if that screw was removable. Had to pass on about three of them before finding one that the seller could post an image of it with the screw and plate removed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My standard method of breaking the rust seal on 2 items frozen together is to GENTLY apply heat from a propane or MAPP gas torch to the area surrounding the frozen parts. 1-3 cycles usually does the trick. This avoids the danger of having something snap or of destroying a screw or bolt head.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    If it will fit, put it in the oven at 150 degrees for two or three hours.

Hi Jim,

I try to do the same thing, that is check with the seller to make sure the screws are removable, and don't buy stuff that is very rusty. However, in this case I was too quick to buy the thing before checking it out....bad move.

That said, once I brought it, it was mine, and I definitely wanted to salvage it if I could.

I thought I had learned my lesion previously to always check with the seller to make sure that the screws could come out, but foolishly got in a hurry to buy a "good deal."

Stew

Blog Entries
    Don't feel bad, my bet is we aren't the only two who have hurried to get a good deal.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Don't feel bad, my bet is we aren't the only two who have hurried to get a good deal.

jtk
    Us three. It happens.