Thread: Seeking 3hp router recommendations

Seeking 3hp router recommendations

I searched the archives but couldn't find anything within the last 5 years, so I apologize if you'd has been recently addressed.

I just picked up a sawstop with a router wing and an Incra Mast-R-Lift with a 1hp router. Id really like a 3hp router, and am thinking about pulling the trigger on a Portamate P254, but am curious if anybody knows of good resources I should consult, or if anybody has any good recommendations?

Milwaukee is the front runner now

I believe there was a recent thread about this not all that long ago. I'd likely go with the Milwaukee as it kinda assumed the "defacto standard" as the venerable PC 7518 faded, but a bunch of companies, including Portamate, have been importing a "clone" that is similar at a reasonable price. Not sure how much long term experience there is with many of them, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like Milwaukee products but it was out of stock everywhere I checked. There are gobs of the Portamates available, my local Rockler had like 10 on a shelf. Plus I only need the motor for permanent duty in the router table. So I went with the Portamate P254, it came with 2 collets and a 2nd set of motor brushes for $100 less than the Milwaukee.

When my old Ryobi motor in my router table failed I bought a PC 75182. IT IS GREAT. Smooth, powerful. I have two PC690s and it uses the same collets which is a significant plus for me (it only came with a 1/2). I don't know if it is still available but if it is, I would strongly consider it. I got it with the fixed base because it was only a few dollars more and I might, maybe, have an application for it someday. But it is really big. Bigger than I would want to use hand held if I had another way to do it. But great for a router table.