Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Windsors - Comb Back #2, Sack Back #1 and a Fan Back

More Windsors - Comb Back #2, Sack Back #1 and a Fan Back

Chairs seem to be popular projects at the moment!!

Some of you may recall that I posted pics of the first Windsor comb back I finished up last summer. Since that time, I have completed a second comb back, a sack back, a fan back and a second sack back. The second sack back has not yet been painted, but the other three chairs have and here are pics of them.

There are two more sack backs in progress. I have switched to knuckle handholds on the sack backs - similar to the ones on the comb backs. I think it adds a bit more style to the chair. My goal is to complete a total of 5 identical sack backs (except for color) by year's end. I believe I have enough oak, but I will need to get more maple and perhaps poplar. We shall see how it goes!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left click my name for homepage link.

Wow...that is beautiful work sir.
    A wannabe woodworker!

Should be proud. Great job
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I especially like the green chair, the upper looks so so light but I know it is strong. Are the legs and stretchers identical for all three of those?

What I really want to hear about is the firewood dolly. Does your wife let you roll that around in the house, or do you have to first unroll a dedicated throw rug from parking spot to outside door?
    Last edited by Scott Winners; 03-13-2021 at 8:23 PM.

Love them all, a great way to combine turning with some flatwork.
    Just beautiful!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Wonderful chairs John. The green one is outstanding.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Beautiful work john look great

Thanks so much for the kind words!! The fan back and comb back are different “greens.” The comb back is Arabian Night black over Lily Pad green. The fan back is Treebark with no wash coat. The sack back is Warm Ash over Mustard.

Scott, the comb back legs are Philadelphia style “cylinder” legs, while the fan back and sack back are “baluster” style. The stretcher design is the same on all three except for length. The rake and splay angles are different on each of the three styles. On the firewood dolly, we keep firewood in the garage so it stays dry, so the dolly never goes outside. The rubber wheels don’t mar the floor.

Outstanding job. The Fan back is my favorite. I love the finish and I really like the two outside posts. Very well done m

Thanks, Joe! The fan back is a very petite chair. I like the look, but even for me at 5’7” it seems too small. It would make a nice lady’s chair.

John,

Really nice work on those chairs. I'm also interested in building Windsors and bought Pete Galbert's "Chairmaker's Notebook". My biggest obstacle is finding suitable wood. Pete talks about buying oak and maple logs and riving out stock for the parts. I don't know where I'd find a log yard, or what I would do with a couple of logs worth of chair parts. I might make a handful of chairs at most.

How did you source the wood for your chairs?

Thanks,

Bryce

Bryce, there are a multitude of sawmills in our area and I sourced my oak from one that I buy wood from on a regular basis. Smaller white oak logs are reasonably priced so long as they are not stave quality. The bourbon business has driven up the price of larger white oak logs. I did rive the maple for a couple of my chairs, but getting usable sugar maple logs in a manageable size is difficult. I now have the sawmill saw green stock for me from which I turn the legs, etc.

Thanks, Keith!!

Really nice chairs.