Thread: Location of response in post hierarchy of a thread

Location of response in post hierarchy of a thread

When I reply to a post, sometimes the reply ends up indented under another poster's response rather than where I intended it; namely as a response to the OP's original post. To reply I click on the Reply to Thread button and I assumed that this would always be a response to the original post, but my reply post sometimes ends up indented under another response. Seems like a basic question but I don't see any differences in what I did but get different results.

Change your thread view to Linear to get rid of this hierarchy. This is in your personal settings.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    When I reply to a post, sometimes the reply ends up indented under another poster's response rather than where I intended it; namely as a response to the OP's original post. To reply I click on the Reply to Thread button and I assumed that this would always be a response to the original post, but my reply post sometimes ends up indented under another response. Seems like a basic question but I don't see any differences in what I did but get different results.
    The Reply to Thread button appears to post at the end last message in the thread. To link your post directly to another post such as the OPs, click the "Reply" or "Reply With Quote" button at the bottom of the OPs post. It will put the message at the bottom the the tree but it will be logically directly connected to the desired post. That's what I did on this. If you click on the your OP post, you can see both mine and Jims are linked. BTW, I use the Hybrid viewing method under Settings, general settings since I want to see the thread tree to know what message is in response to which.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 03-14-2021 at 12:37 AM.

John,

I try to be careful that I use the Reply To Thread button. The other day I did that and it ended up under another person's response rather that the regular list. That's what puzzled me and has been puzzling in the past.

Thanks for the responses. They help me understand the forum structure better.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    John,

I try to be careful that I use the Reply To Thread button. The other day I did that and it ended up under another person's response rather that the regular list. That's what puzzled me and has been puzzling in the past.
    Just to be clear, I almost never use the "Reply to Thread" button which puts your reply at the bottom. I use the "Reply With Quote" button.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Change your thread view to Linear to get rid of this hierarchy. This is in your personal settings.

Thanks for this, Jim. I'm new to the forum and came here looking for an answer to my problems, which you provided. Much better now.

Alan