Thread: $3.45 hold down clamp

$3.45 hold down clamp

Recently I decided to take the plunge and buy a 3D printer. I've been looking at them off and on for the last two years and I keep coming up with jigs and tools that would be easy to make if I only had one. What I bought is a Creality CR10 V3 Titan Direct Drive printer with a 300mm x 300mm x 400mm print capacity. For my first project I decided to take some cheap but well made Chinese 201-B hold down clamps and adapt them to be used with 1/4-20 T-Track with a 3 piece 3D printed base. I calculate that the total cost per clamp at $3.45 per clamp. Because I used this as a learning project I printed them in both PLA, (black) and PETG, (red). I was really pleased how they turned out. If you have a 3D printer and would like the .stl files I'll be happy to share. I designed these in Sketchup and exported them to .stl files using an export plugin from Simlab. (The demo version gives you the first 30 exports for free.)

IMG_0019.jpg IMG_0018.jpg IMG_0016.jpg IMG_0014.jpg IMG_0015.jpg

The main part that attaches to the clamp is tapped with a M6 6mm metric tap and attached with 4 M6 x 8mm hex cap screws, the base plate attaches with 4 #6 x 1/2" wood screws and the 1/4-20 x 3/4" bolt and nut are used with the center wheel to tighten or loosen the connection to the T-Track.

With the amount that the base raises up the clamp the thickest material you could hold down would be 3/8" or 10mm without having to add a longer hold down pad but I'll mostly use them with 1/2" or 3/4 material so that likely won't be an issue for me but you can make longer pads using rubber furniture feet, 1/4 - 20 or 6mm threaded rod a couple nuts and a fender washer. The ones I've made I use a cap nut and a regular nut with a star washer.

I need a like button.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Tom,

I'll PM you. I'd like to have the .stil files you've so generously offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Tom,

I'll PM you. I'd like to have the .stil files you've so generously offered.
    I've sent them to you via email but here is a link to download them if anyone else is interested.

http://www.teetomterrific.com/downlo...-201-b-stl.zip

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    I need a like button.
    Yeah me too. Those are cool.

I think that all the time on SMC.

These clamps look like a great deal for jigs. A single DeStaCo is over $20. What is the thread on the stud with the rubber cushion? Looks like 1/4-20 but it might be metric.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    These clamps look like a great deal for jigs. A single DeStaCo is over $20. What is the thread on the stud with the rubber cushion? Looks like 1/4-20 but it might be metric.
    The stud with the rubber cushion is metric. M6 x 1.0. However I have replaced a couple with much longer 1/4-20 threaded rod and used a cap nut inside a rubber feet bumpers, 1 regular, nut 2 star washers and 1 1/4-20 fender washer for use as a hold down on a sled fence. I made 4 of them for about the same price as Rockler sell 1 6" rod pad. The nuts and washers came from Lowes.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JDU6J8K https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LDT7UHM

I picked a couple up at Harbor Freight today for about $5/ea. They look to be about the same thing and I wanted to make sure they'd work prior to buying a bulk pack. I got one horizontal like you did, and one vertical as depicted below. It will fit my miter sled better.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I bought a dozen. They work great. Thx for the tip Tom.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Blog Entries
    Nice design. Thanks!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others