Thread: Sources of quality lumber in Connecticut

Question Sources of quality lumber in Connecticut

Does anyone have any recommendations for good lumberyards in Connecticut or Southern NY state (Westchester or Putnam counties)? I am looking for quality hardwoods, baltic birch plywood, etc. Ability to delivery to Fairfield County, CT is a major plus.

Thank you!

I am on the other side of the Hudson River but have been meaning to check out First Cut Custom Woodworks in Cold Spring NY. He post some beautiful boards on Facebook. Coldon Lumber in White Plain I have heard good things about also.

Sam,

There was a thread about this a while back - the information is likely still good. I live east of Hartford and I go to Parkerville Wood Products, which is the only retail game in this part of the state. It's not near Fairfield County, but it might be an option for you. The prices aren't great but the quality and service are excellent. They also offer lots of services like sanding, ripping, milling, CNC, etc.

I would also keep an eye on Craigslist.

Good luck.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Condon Lumber in White plains NY and Conway wood products in Gaylordsville, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    Sam,

There was a thread about this a while back - the information is likely still good. I live east of Hartford and I go to Parkerville Wood Products, which is the only retail game in this part of the state. It's not near Fairfield County, but it might be an option for you. The prices aren't great but the quality and service are excellent. They also offer lots of services like sanding, ripping, milling, CNC, etc.

I would also keep an eye on Craigslist.

Good luck.

Thanks Brian. Somehow that other thread didn't come up when I searched...much appreciated, I think I will take a drive up to Parkerville this week.

Condon Lumber also has a warehouse in Stormville NY by Greenhaven Prison. There is also Kellogg Hardwoods in Bethel, CT. John from First Cut is a really nice guy. I know him personally through another woodworker. He has some nice lumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Gillen View Post
    I am on the other side of the Hudson River but have been meaning to check out First Cut Custom Woodworks in Cold Spring NY. He post some beautiful boards on Facebook. Coldon Lumber in White Plain I have heard good things about also.
    M.L. Condon has a warehouse in Dutchess County just off I-84, but these days you need an appointment to visit there. They had some Baltic Birch when I visited some time ago, but didn't seem to have many demands for it other than from myself. Their store is in Westchester and I've got to visit there myself. Covid made that a PITA for the past year.

Ghent Wood Products in Columbia County NY. Has an amazing selection of hardwoods.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I was going to suggest a hardwood supplier in PA I have used but checked and their prices are through the roof.

I'm in Fairfield and have used ML Condon in White Plains just off 287, they take cash or check only ( this was over 5 yrs ago) I learned the hard way. There used to be Downes and Reader Hardwood in Milford but I think it's closed now.

Downes and Reader is closed in Milford but their parent, Rugby Architectural Building Products in Stoughten, MA offers free delivery to Fairfield Cty, CT with a $750 order.