Thread: Air-drying tamarack

Air-drying tamarack

I'm thinking about getting some green 2" tamarack boards and air-drying them. Anyone have any experience with air-drying tamarack? It's not a wood I'm familiar with, but I have an opportunity to source some at a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    I'm thinking about getting some green 2" tamarack boards and air-drying them. Anyone have any experience with air-drying tamarack? It's not a wood I'm familiar with, but I have an opportunity to source some at a good price.
    Where I am we call that larch and I believe it's always air dried because it goes into outdoor uses. The racks I've seen are no different than for other species and the wood I've bought has always been straight and mostly crack free. Great value for outdoor projects. Around here 4/4 goes for maybe $0.75/bf. No clue on 8/4 though.

John

I'm not far from you (New Brunswick), and it's about the same price. I'll give it a go. It's cheap enough that I can always turn it into planters etc. if it warps too much for furniture. Thanks John.

I'd never heard of tamarack either, so I looked it up. The tree is a deciduous conifer! I had no idea such a thing existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I'd never heard of tamarack either, so I looked it up. The tree is a deciduous conifer! I had no idea such a thing existed.
    Bald Cypress is another one

Ditto Dawn Redwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    My advice would be to try to talk to these people about drying larch.

www.larchwoodcanada.com

They make home furnishing products out of larch.

They mill and dry their larch wood on factory site in Margaree Nova Scotia.

Good stuff, great people and they would probably lend their advice on drying larch.