Thread: Stacking CRT TV's for art installation - Cooling

Blog Entries

Stacking CRT TV's for art installation - Cooling

Hi,

I have a job building an analog TV stacking stand. My question is regards to heat. I can add some cheap computer fans and cut holes as required in the TV cases. Nothing needs to be preserved, these TV's will be destroyed after the show. However, they will run for 24 hrs / day while they are installed.

I'm not planning on making a cabinet, per se, I think each TV will really just be spaced apart from each other (if I have my way). I can't imagine nine (9) TV's spaced apart from each other in air (no cabinetry) would have a problem with heat.

Anyone have experience with CRT TV's that could apply to this project?

Cheers,
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-13-2021 at 10:15 AM.

My first career, a short one, lasted from 16yrs old to 20yrs old working on televisions after taking a TV repair course in high school. You didn’t say how many days they would be on. The temperature of the room is a big part of it when stacking. Fans and vent holes like you mentioned is important for two reasons, it will help and it shows that you made an effort to provide some ventilation. That age TV might decide to break down regardless of this setup anyway. I hope none of them are so old that they have tubes since that type puts out a lot of heat. Provide a fire extinguisher too for more CYA. Also all that needs more than just a few circuits. Figure about 4 to 5 amps per TV then round it up.

You need a form of intake, and then the fans can blow as the out take. Do you have a fan in mind?

https://www.coolcomponents.com/

there is another company but i cant think of it right now. Once I find it I can send the link.

Since this is "Art" put them into a plywood box and blow air from the back around the crts into the viewers face. Extra points for higher speed, Even add a heater between the tv's to increase the viewers temperature. The milenials will be surprised how hot tv's used to be. Maybe add a few glowing strobing lights to simulate tubes. Neon?
    Bill D