Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leigh’s New Shop and other Ramblings

Hi Leigh, that's going to be a nice shop! Good call on the extra room trusses.

If your contractor is getting the materials through the same supply chains as I am, and they probably are, expect a few materials delays. Everything is taking twice as long at least to come in, if you can even get the product you originally ask for.

I put a ceiling in my basement shop and it is a big improvement. I installed cheap plastic faced fiberglass tiles. These are waterproof-ish and can be bent in half and snapped in place. This let me install them almost between the joists so I lost only 3/8" of headroom. A normal drop ceiling will cost you several inches.

Yes it is moving along. I has taken a week (2 man crew) to get the shingles on. They are a metal shingle that look like slate. We put them on our house because the are held on by 5 screws each and are for high wind applications. I watch my neighbor a couple times each year fix his asphalt shingles. They are also high impact and have a 50 yr life. But they are expensive and slow to put on. Next week the attic gets finished then the remaining sheathing and house wrap. It’s slow but I like my carpenter and have zero complaints.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

A couple of progress shots.
    (I sure hope they self rotate when they post!)
    7137582D-5DB1-4779-8EB0-32F7ACD01319.jpg

987E1943-B94B-41CD-B0C0-1A778E01F3D6.jpg
    0B2C310F-128D-45DB-A4E8-44E4A1370CC0.jpg
    Attachment 460498
    I built an elevator to access the attic. This will make the attic much more useful. I installed the clearview dust collector in one end. I still need to build a manifold and install the filters. The waste will drop thru the ceiling into a 55 gallon drum on the shop floor.
    I know it’s not the most efficient piping design, but I ran all the piping above the ceiling, either in the attic or in the trusses. I used Bill Pentz’s static pressure calculator (and I did send him a donation) to engineer the runs to not exceed the static pressure of the fan curve. So I think I’ll still maintain 1000 cfm and 4000fpm at all the machine ports. It’s just me, but I really don’t care for the look of under the ceiling pipe runs. I spent too much of my career working in ISO clean rooms to willingly run piping under the ceiling. The ceiling will be Sheetrock. The walls will be T111 siding. The air compressor and phase converter both go upstairs. I’ll likely build a sound room in that end of the attic.
    Still waiting on siding, one window, the exterior walk door, and the overhead door into the current garage.
    Next week I should have a pretty cool add.
    Last edited by Leigh Betsch; 07-04-2021 at 10:41 AM.
    The Plane Anarchist

Darn...what a nice space!!!! That's going to be truly wonderful when you are done with the construction and moved in!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I’m daydreaming about putting hardwood over the top of my heated concrete floor. Is this a bad idea? I plan to keep the shop about 65f. I would keep the “metal” side concrete and only put wood flooring on the “wood” side. About 900 ft^2 out of the 1300. What say the collective?
    The Plane Anarchist

I'd be for the wood for sure, but suspect it needs to be a floating floor to deal with expansion/contraction effectively over the heated concrete.

I'm starting to ponder what I want for a floor in my new shop once I'm in a position to proceed with the build.
    --

Wood would be nice I think. The standard way to do it, vapor barrier, ply, wood nailed on top adds some pretty substantial thickness to deal with at doorways. In my opinion, wood directly on concrete doesn't have the same benefits as a wood floor on joists. Still feels like walking on a concrete floor, but it is easier on tools and looks nice. I'd do it just for looks.

I think I'll talk to my HVAC guy about the effect on heating the shop if I were to cover part in wood plank. Or maybe I'll do vinyl tiles for chisel cushion and looks. Or maybe I'll just make some wooden slat matts for in front of the bench. The current plan is still epoxy but I could still change my mind....
    The Plane Anarchist

The shop is getting close. I contracted with a local company to put down a polyaspartic floor in both the garage and the shop. They did the garage yesterday and are currently doing the shop. It will be a bit longer before its ready for the "public" but for now you can get a peak at the shop right thru that open overhead door.
    The Plane Anarchist

Wow...that's going to be a beautiful floor surface!
    --

Moving along

The shop is moving along. I'm moving a few tools in so I can build the trim.
    The power is temperary and the boiler and mini split aren't in yet.
    The welding room needs a door.
    The blue boarder needs another coat of paint, the widows need trimming, the base and ceiling cove need to be put on.
    The punch list is getting shorter.
    But at least I'm cutting wood again!
    I'll attach a pic or two.
    Last edited by Leigh Betsch; 11-04-2021 at 3:11 PM.
    The Plane Anarchist

That floor look SO good!!!! And the shop is open and airy! Bravo!
    --

Two things I dislike about most shops is a lot of things on the ceiling and a lot of things on the floor. Too that end I put most of the dust collection piping above the ceiling and planned the vertical down drops on a grid layout. And I plan to have the power outlets for the center machines close to the dust down tubes and drop from the ceiling also. That should keep cords and hoses off the floor and still eliminate all the horizontal piping that clutters up a lot of shops.
    The floor is 100% chip filled called shist (yes I spelled that right). Here’s a pic of the crew scrapping the “excess” chips off the floor.
    The Plane Anarchist

Beautiful space Leigh. That new lathe will look great in there!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney