Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leigh’s New Shop and other Ramblings

I'm debating the flat ceiling vs scissor thing, too, although what construction method I end up using will also potentially dictate that. (metal frame is scissor natively, for example, while stick built can be either) I personally wouldn't put my duct work over a ceiling. Yes, it would look nice without it exposed, but I know from the past 22 years in my current shop that "things change" and the idea of having to "go up there" to make changes isn't something I'm all that enamored about.

Under floor is more palatable to me than above a ceiling for sure, but it also comes with some fun should changes need to be made in the future. Of course, it really shines for bringing collection and power to machines and other work areas out in the middle without having things hanging down from above
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I talked with my excavation guy and pretty much killed the basement idea. It will just get to expensive. I haven’t actually put a budget together for this project yet but it’s not a wide open checkbook. I’m still liking above ceiling dust collection. Maybe attic truss rafters. I need to talk to my lumberyard again on that idea.
    the floor will be at the same level as the current garage floor so that eliminates the idea of a crawl space. All good ideas but not so practical for my situation.
    I need to look up the lighting thread, but as of now I’m planning on a bunch of LED recessed can lights.
    And a mini split air conditioner.
    Our house doesn’t have a basement and no storm shelter. So I’m thinking about a concrete walled room for a above ground storm shelter that would also house my dust collector, air compressor and rotary phase converter and any other noise maker.
    I gave a pretty well set up metal machine shop, mill, lathe, grinders, welder etc... that will also get relocated to a corner of thus space. I’ll curtain a space with clear strip curtains and heppa filters. I already own much of this stuff from my old shop.
    Then there’s the paint booth. I have curtains for a make shift booth that worked well in my old shop. I think I’ll spring for a bigger wall fan.
    I think I’ll rename this thread “New shop ramblings other daydreams”.
    The Plane Anarchist

If you want "cans" for your lighting, you'll really enjoy the current generation of them...they only project about an inch into the space above so there's pretty much zero impact on insulation and are very easy to install.
    --

I won't bore everyone with another shop construction thread. Other than to say it has begun.
    And to make this post as a commitment to come back with a completed pic.
    The Plane Anarchist

Congratulations Leigh, it sounds like no matter how the design of your new shop ends up it will be a great space.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-18-2021 at 8:40 AM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    I won't bore everyone with another shop construction thread. Other than to say it has begun.
    I enjoy reading shop build threads with lots of pictures
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Um...we WANT shop construction threads! Folks really benefit from them...they are not in any way, shape or form "boring"!!
    --

Ok. A pic from my dirt guy. We are in Tucson for the winter but the guys are getting started. We’ll be home early next week. I’ll know more then but I think he just has the sod scraped away to get the ground to thaw quicker, so he can dig the footings down 4 ft to below the frost line.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

First of all, wow, looks big. You're gonna love the shop.

I'll throw this out again, but it won't work for you if you want to park your car in there. I had a raised access floor put in my shop. They are ubiquitous in computer server rooms around the world. All of my electrical runs and dust collection ducts go under the floor, and just come up to the machines. No overhead ducts coming down, and I can change things with ease, as the 2' x 2' panels just come out with a screwdriver and a suction cup device. Used ones are available all the time for much less than new. You choose what height you want them to be over the slab.

Tile-lifter-in-use-raised-floor.jpg

They can hold very large amounts of weight. My 1500lb wide belt sander was a piece of cake.

You would need steps or a ramp to get up to the floor for the entrance, but I did both.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 03-22-2021 at 9:03 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Your "dirt guy" got a great start there...level, cut for footings, etc. That photo is also really good as a "before" as it lets us clearly see the relationship between the existing home/garage and the soon-to-be-built shop.
    --

I decided to go with attic trusses. It will give me a space that I can use for my dust collection piping. I’ll put a pull down ladder for access.
    The Plane Anarchist

Radiant floors?

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Radiant floors?
    Yes hot water in the floor. My current house and garage both have heated floors and I have a big enough boiler to handle the shop too, I hope. I also have a sink in the current garage right next to the new shop so no need for water in the new shop.
    The Plane Anarchist

Moving along. Slowly. Footings and foundation walls are poured and inspected.
    The Plane Anarchist

That's a great step to have completed...things can move along now pretty quickly I would think!
    --