Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leigh’s New Shop and other Ramblings

Leigh’s New Shop and other Ramblings

Time to re-engage here on SMC. I've been away without a woodshop for 5 or so years. I just contracted with the local lumber yard to add a 1300 sq ft shop onto my home. Nothing happening yet but I'm getting excited.
    Just thought if I dropped this here it would get me focused again.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-24-2021 at 1:19 PM.
    The Plane Anarchist

Welcome back! A brand new 1300 sq ft shop has me drooling, good luck and send pictures when you're done.

Now I"m jealous...1200 sq ft. Sheesh! Lucky you are! I look forward to seeing things come together.

And welcome back, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

And to think I'm content with 525 sq ft. Wow, 1300 sq feet....

Welcome back to SMC

Don't wait till you're done. Send lots of pictures of the build!

Blog Entries
    Yes, focus. It took me almost a year to get from permit submission to a slab. Gotta love COVID . . . or at least the excuse it gives bureaucracies ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Yes, focus. It took me almost a year to get from permit submission to a slab. Gotta love COVID . . . or at least the excuse it gives bureaucracies ;-)
    I'm hoping that my situation will move faster once we move, but yea...so much "not in our control" with the process. I'm even considering alternatives to a concrete floor to potentially speed things up once there's jurisdictional buy-in.
    --

Jim, yes. Alternatives to concrete floors have some definite advantages. I have a traditional wooden framed floor in my shop and love it. Yes, I had to have the engineer spec it out for heavier loads, and thus shorter spans (8') and wider joists (2 x 14), but it is very comfortable to stand on. I could have also placed some of my dust collection ducting under the floor, though I chose not to. In a pinch, I could still access the under side of the floor assembly, though I'd prefer not to climb under there.

I'll not take up Leigh's thread on this, Lisa, but I'm seriously thinking about a wood floor system, but sometime probably a little unique. Once I get to the point that I can get serious, the fun will begin.
    --

My previous house had webbed trusses supporting the first floor. They are tall but you can run wiring or even duct work through them without drilling holes. I didn't ask for them, it is what the builder decided to use - so they must be somewhat reasonable at least for some applications.

First of all, congrats on the new place. I have a slab. It is level and no cracks (ooo, do I dare say that?) My biggest regret on my shop is not having a crawl space sufficient to get around in...36”, and a solid wooden floor. If I was to do it again I would have the 36” well lit space with a really good level base of concrete or at least good level compacted gravel. I would secure that space so nothing but spiders could get into it. I had a bad experience with a couple rattlesnakes in a 16” dark crawl space some 40 yrs ago so the ability to move and have good lighting in the crawl is essential, at least to me. I used to be a he-man, but I was different when I came out of that hole Depending upon the grade of the site you could even have access from the low point to store lumber. The ability to add/subtract electrical/DC would be wonderful and it was a miss on my part.

I too have wood floor. There are some pictures and description of the structural features of floor system in my Hall of the Mountain King thread. I will give you more details if you want them.

I want the ability to drive a vehicle into the shop if needed so I need a concrete floor. At least in part of it. I’m also planning for hot water floor heat. I have it in my house and current garage and like it a bunch.

I’ll attach a preliminary drawing from my lumberyard. If I can remember how to do it.
    The three big windows face the lake, southern exposure. They will be a bit shorter, so I can fit benches below them. I plan two more windows in the gable end.

more to come....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

That's going to be a really nice space, Leigh. I agree with the hydronic radiant heating that you propose, particularly in your geography.
    --

I’m planning on a 10 ft ceiling with the dust collection above it with drops thru to the machines. But I could also use scissor truss rafters an have a vaulted ceiling. That leaves the dust piping exposed. I’m leaning toward a flat ceiling.
    what’s says the collective?
    im also daydreaming right now of putting a 1/2 basement leaving the north half of the floor concrete slab and the the south half basement with a wood shop floor. Then I could run the dust collection in the basement. If I go this rout I’m going to have to act fast. Dirt work going to start any day and I’m in Tucson thru next week...
    The Plane Anarchist