Thread: Another Hollowing Video Equipment Question

Another Hollowing Video Equipment Question

Finally ready to dive in to hollowing with video and wanted to see what people are using for cameras and monitors. I know there have been many threads on this but most show equipment that is no longer available on Amazon.
    Anyone purchased camera/monitors/power supplies recently and willing to share specifics? I worry that I’ll get something that isn’t quite right for hollowing.

I’ve searched SMC, read Peter Blair’s blog and watched a few referenced YouTube videos on the topic but any other advice is appreciated,
    Thanks, Tom

Thomas Michael Armstrong just built a system in the past few weeks. He had some of the same issues as you suggest about unavailable technology. You might try to contact him here on the Creek.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Finally ready to dive in to hollowing with video and wanted to see what people are using for cameras and monitors. I know there have been many threads on this but most show equipment that is no longer available on Amazon.
    Anyone purchased camera/monitors/power supplies recently and willing to share specifics? I worry that I’ll get something that isn’t quite right for hollowing.

I’ve searched SMC, read Peter Blair’s blog and watched a few referenced YouTube videos on the topic but any other advice is appreciated,
    Thanks, Tom
    I would be interested in what equipment ie needed also

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Thomas Michael Armstrong just built a system in the past few weeks. He had some of the same issues as you suggest about unavailable technology. You might try to contact him here on the Creek.
    Thanks Peter, I’ll reach out.
    Also, thanks for the info on your blog - that’s what convinced me to go with video!

Tom

My rig cost $25. Free laptop from a friend because the battery was shot. I keep it plugged in to the charger to use it. Bought a $12 inspection camera on eBay, and bought a few sheets of acetate and dry erase markers. It displays 1=1 on the laptop, so easy to use.

I use an usb inspection cam that i can connect to a phone, tablet or laptop is my latest. The camera has a micro usb that connects direct to the phone and tablet. It came with an adapter to convert it to a usb A connection for my laptop. The view ratio does not matter as long as you keep a consistent distance from your cutter. Hold a small ruler to the edge of the cutter and look on the screen to mark the distance. I have a video on my YouTube channel showing how it works.

Richard. I got lucky and found that the acetate can be held on my monitor with magnets. I never or seldom have to erase and draw again just reposition it with the magnets.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Chris because my monitor is magnetic I place a small washer type magnet over my cutter and can move it as a guide to any thickness I want.

IMG_3408 (1).jpgIMG_3407 (1).jpg
    Pete

I set mine up this way, I checked my links to Amazon to see if the items described were still available and they were as of this morning.

Thanks for sharing this Chris. Looks like a great setup and for little money makes it even better. On my computer the screen seems a little blue and not too bright. I find I need it bright and clear to easily see the edge of the hollow form. Once you get set up with a hollowing system you will never look back. Oh and I love the mounting set-up you made!
    Pete

Thanks for the info Chris.
    Please tell us what lens the camera has. The one I found on Amazon that is this brand and price range has a 3.6mm lens.

Thanks
    RD

Yes, the camera I show in the video, the one I bought, is a 3.6mm lens.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T00X1FC...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks Chris - very helpful. And since I have the same lathe I may have to copy your mount!!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Yes, the camera I show in the video, the one I bought, is a 3.6mm lens.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T00X1FC...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks Chris!
    RD