Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GFI breaker vs receptacle?

As a retired lawyer, I have extension experience with inspectors hired by realtors. Not all of them are in the pocket of the realtor, but enough to warrant an independent inspection. Enough said. A seller inspection is not as critical as a buyer's inspection.
    Regards,

Tom

I'm so thankful I started this discussion. Had the inspection done today by a very professional guy. The kitchen is supplied from 3 different circuits, easiest fix will be GFI breakers. But the best part is he found no major issues. Several ungrounded receptacles, remember old house wired back then without ground. He said new non-ground recept will fix those. Most expensive repair will be to clean up the crawl spaces and fix some insulation in those areas.

So glad I decided to spent those bucks before we list.

Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Combs View Post
    ... I fall in the camp of don't fix anything before the potential buyer's inspector does his or her thing. Leave the fixing to be part of the negotiation. Easy enough to do them later and let the buyer 'win'.

JMHO
    In some jurisdictions, if a seller's (pre-market) inspection reveals ANY issue and seller does not reveal that to the buyer, then the buyer has recourse on a 'failure to disclose'. No matter what the buyer's inspection finds. Y'all can decide what 'recourse' entails in your particular jurisdiction.

Sometimes ignorance IS bliss.

--------
    FWIW, as a buyer, I'd want to spec and oversee the repairs of any inspection faults. I can decide what a given issue means to me, what to spend (or not), and what a fix looks like - - and not allow someone I'll never see again to make those decisions for me. ...While I stare at the result every day. Price gets negotiated accordingly.

From the seller's perspective, it also seems easier, "If I give the buyer $xxx off the price, I can move out and never look back..?!? Done and DONE!"
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 03-29-2021 at 6:57 PM. Reason: typo