Thread: Move dust collector to different room?

Move dust collector to different room?

This is a down the road project (most likely) but I had thought the other day. My shop is in the basement, probably takes up a 1/3. Attached to the basement is a 3 season porch with full basement with a walkout and window on one side. Had the thought of moving the Dust Collector out there to give me a little more room. Even though it is not heated, I've never seen it get below the upper 30's in there. It's storage for all my lumber/plywood.

Since my shop is in the basement and part of a whole house, do I need to worry about air exchange? Versus just a stand alone shop where someone puts their DC outside.

If I do need to worry about it, is their some sort of device to help with exchange the air? As in only allowing air one way when needed so you don't have an influx of outside air into a conditioned air space when not in use?

THANKS!
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

If you pump air out of your shop, it has to be replaced from somewhere. Normally for a DC located in an adjacent enclosed space, a baffled/indirect pathway is provided for air to return to the shop with minimal direct transmission of noise. You have to decide if the impact of the unheated space and return air, particularly in the winter, will be something of concern to you, although if you are running the DC a lot, the impact will be less after a few air exchanges warms the space the DC is in a bit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Move it to that space and build walls around it providing clear pathways for shop air to circulate from the new enclosure to the shop. Essentially you are increasing the basement shop conditioned space. You do need, as Jim pointed out, to balance the air in the space(s). The separated DC can dig a negative pressure in the shop space pretty quickly. How far you go with separation is dependent upon whether you want the space only or the space and quiet. Quiet costs more.

I blow mine outside after it goes through the cyclone. Although our climate is fairly mild I haven’t noticed a huge difference. Several others on here do the same. It is great to have the same performance every time and not have to clean filters. I believe the ideal setup would be filters and an air exchange for extreme weather and a eye with a blast gate to blow outside the rest of the time.
    Charlie Jones