Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Received new Grizzly lathe – should I complain?

Resolution

It's been about 6 weeks since I first placed the order for the G0766, but I think I'm set now.

The new bed they sent me is pretty darn close to perfect. No complaints with that. They also want me to pack the old bed in the box that the new one came in and Grizzly is going to have it picked up.
    Grizzly updated 2sm.jpg

They sent me new decals to put on the bed, but I haven't done that yet. Not sure I will. 200 pounds of ballast on the bottom and tools put away in drawers, ready to go. I've started creating a swing away on the right, but haven't finished yet.
    Grizzly updated 4sm.jpg

They sent me a new banjo, a new tool rest and some paint. The new banjo is missing paint, but not as scraped up as the first one. The new tool rest is perfect, but I already filed, sanded and waxed a new top to the old one and I'll just use that one.
    Grizzly updated 6sm.jpg

The process has been slow and tiresome. I suppose one of the ways that Grizzly keeps costs down is they don't seek 100% perfect fit, finish and shipping. But for a heavy duty 22" lathe for the price, compared to what else is available, I still think it's worth the trade-off. Their customer service made it right and in the long run it won't make a difference. Time to get turning.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Bolson View Post
    It's been about 6 weeks since I first placed the order for the G0766, but I think I'm set now.

They sent me a new banjo, a new tool rest and some paint. The new banjo is missing paint, but not as scraped up as the first one. The new tool rest is perfect, but I already filed, sanded and waxed a new top to the old one and I'll just use that one.
    Grizzly updated 6sm.jpg

The process has been slow and tiresome. I suppose one of the ways that Grizzly keeps costs down is they don't seek 100% perfect fit, finish and shipping. But for a heavy duty 22" lathe for the price, compared to what else is available, I still think it's worth the trade-off. Their customer service made it right and in the long run it won't make a difference. Time to get turning.

David
    Wow....hard to believe they replaced a banged up part with another banged up part AND expect you to paint the machine that they were supposed to paint !! and you're happy with that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Wow....hard to believe they replaced a banged up part with another banged up part AND expect you to paint the machine that they were supposed to paint !! and you're happy with that!!
    The important piece, the bed, is perfect. The banjo will eventually be covered in sawdust and finish. Do I wish it came in perfect? Of course. But I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Bolson View Post
    The important piece, the bed, is perfect. The banjo will eventually be covered in sawdust and finish. Do I wish it came in perfect? Of course. But I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

David
    I'm a fussy buyer and I would usually be agreeing with Barry. But under the circumstances you've described - including that this is already a re-delivery after the first one was trashed by the shipper - I think you've gotten about as much as they are going to do. They made it "right enough" and I wouldn't take issue with it either.

Enjoy your new tool!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Some things I'm fussy about but there's also a point where you have to look at something and say "what will normal use do it it". My bed looked nice when I took it out of the crate but a year later and it's stained from wet wood getting on it. There's scratches in it from sliding the banjo and tail stock. I also made a table so I can use it as a 20" disc sander. None of this impacts how it works. Deep gouges are different. But paint on the banjo? Sorry but I would rather by a $5 rattle can and fix it myself vs spending time on the phone trying to get a replacement. Since Grizzly was sending a bed sure. But calling again, not likely.

One of the places Grizzy saves money is the customer must assume they will have to work with Grizzly to get something fixed. I think their Taiwanese stuff is packaged better than the stuff from China. If you're not up to doing that or unwilling then they are not the right brand for you. Hopefully your new lathe is going to make you very happy.

One silver lining is you now have two banjos. That's a good start to a homemade hollowing system, or allows for very long two-post custom rests. Scratched paint on the banjo? It just doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    One silver lining is you now have two banjos. That's a good start to a homemade hollowing system, or allows for very long two-post custom rests. Scratched paint on the banjo? It just doesn't matter.

They only sent me the cast iron "shell" of the banjo. I have to reassemble using all the auxiliary hardware from the old banjo. I guess they assume that their buyers have all the necessary tools and know-how to do that. Fortunately, I think I do.

David

Good to see they made it work for you, well kind of,happy turning.

Glad that it is working out for you.

Personally, I would be unhappy having to spend a lot of my time fixing a new and expensive tool.

Dave Bolson, I bought an early G0766 and it came with an overly short banjo. So, when Griz figured out that significant problem, they sent me (and others) kind of a "kit" that consisted of a new and longer casting and a longer locking rod and a couple of other parts. But I saw some value in having two tool rests, so I paid around $30 (IIRC and it may have changed) for some e-clips, bolts, locking bolt, fancy washer and some other things. I only use the new and larger banjo when I'm turning something pretty large. I actually prefer the shorter banjo for the majority of the smaller things that I do. I weighs less and moves more easily. Also, there have been a few times when enjoyed having one banjo on one side of a platter and another on the other side. Plus I built a hollowing system and a router holder that use the extra banjo.

So, I'd suggest determining what parts you may need to order to complete the second banjo.

BTW, I'm pleased that things turned out okay for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Dave Bolson, I bought an early G0766 and it came with an overly short banjo. So, when Griz figured out that significant problem, they sent me (and others) kind of a "kit" that consisted of a new and longer casting and a longer locking rod and a couple of other parts. But I saw some value in having two tool rests, so I paid around $30 (IIRC and it may have changed) for some e-clips, bolts, locking bolt, fancy washer and some other things. I only use the new and larger banjo when I'm turning something pretty large. I actually prefer the shorter banjo for the majority of the smaller things that I do. I weighs less and moves more easily. Also, there have been a few times when enjoyed having one banjo on one side of a platter and another on the other side. Plus I built a hollowing system and a router holder that use the extra banjo.

So, I'd suggest determining what parts you may need to order to complete the second banjo.

BTW, I'm pleased that things turned out okay for you.
    As I read your post I remembered that, although I have already sold most of the parts from my dead Nova 2024, I haven’t yet sold the banjo. I gave it a shot on the Grizzly and, after replacing the bottom bolt with a longer one, it fits great! Also, even though the Nova was only a 20” swing, the Nova banjo is taller than the Grizzly banjo and I can use my old tool rests on it.

C070C5D4-70B5-455D-8C65-3556252A56F7.jpg