Thread: cabinet glass?

cabinet glass?

I am building a cabinet below a wall mount tv and bottom two doors have glass. normally I use double strength glass for cabinets but this glass will only be 6" or so from floor, customer has 2 young kids, thinking each piece might be 12 to 14" roughly square.

Consider Acrylic or similar plastic type material. Easy to machine and available from one of the big box retailers. 1/8" thickness will perform just fine. Will not break into tiny little pieces if broken; it will bend before breaking.

1/8" is probably fine so long as it's tempered. Could go with 1/4" acrylic if you're really feeling paranoid.

Tempered glass can be found in standard sizes.

You can also use laminated glass. Nearly every glass shop has that in stock and can cut to custom sizes. I don't like acrylic as it takes special cleaning to prevent scratches, and young kids will have it marked up in no time.

I don’t like laminated for some things because it’s heavy and the thickness can make it too green . Prefer tempered IF it can be bought
    without the logo on every piece, some places will help you and some won’t.

My local code requires tempered glass for windows and doors less than 18” off the floor. Code doesn’t cover furniture though so take from that what you will. Your local glass guy should be able to get tempered glass to your size specification.

Your local glass purveyor can provide you with tempered glass panels of any size you need and if you use glass for this, that's what you want. You can certainly use clear acrylic as an alternative. The downside is that it can be scratched with a sharp object and may not be quite "totally clear" as actual glass, depending on the product.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've used Lexan for just this situation, with excellent results.

I use tempered glass for all cabinetry. It can be ordered in any size and in standard thicknesses. Be sue to specify "No Bug". The bug is an etched stamp indicating it is tempered glass, which can be required by code. Since most cabinetry does not require tempered glass be used by code, I specify "No Bug", which can be unsightly.

My wife is scared of the glass in a baraesters bookcase. She wants me to replace it with brass screen

Surprisingly affordable. https://www.onedayglass.com/order-online/

You can order tempered glass with or w/o logo.

John

john . thanks for tip. i priced out 1 piece snd was $44. 2 pieces was only $14 more.

After the amount of labor I put into a cabinet, I don’t skimp on the glass. I use “antique” glass which isn’t actually “antique” but is irregular and I have it tempered. I’ve gotten comments that it adds a lot to the cabinet appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    john . thanks for tip. i priced out 1 piece snd was $44. 2 pieces was only $14 more.
    You're welcome. Their service is very good. I had some tempered patterned glass shipped for my new front door from WA state to NY. It arrived beautifully packaged in about 2 weeks I think and was over $100 less than from my local glass shop. I'd rather shop local but that's serious money.

John