Thread: Biltong Box

Biltong Box

Biltong is the African version of Jerky. This is my first real project. Used pocket screws with 1/2 inch oak plywood for the box and red oak hangers and Shou Sugi Ban pine for the shaker door. Computer fan circulates the air. May add a UV light and light bulb for heat. Next I have kitchen cabinet boxes made and starting drawers. Also made a bench which I will post soon.Biltong Cabinet.jpg0309210800b.jpg
    Last edited by Gregg Markowski; 03-10-2021 at 7:59 PM.

Very cool. Curious about the process. Do you just hang it up, and wait for it to dry? It looks like there's also some spices involved, what are those?

The original Biltong uses a vinegar bath with larger pieces of meat than what we would use for jerky and it is air dried. I have friends that have been on safari and had it several times Ostrich is common they hang the meat in trees. Anyway vinegar bath/marinade, salt and coriander. The above was done with a vinegar mesquite marinade then coated in a pepper medley that was ground up ( allspice, pink, white and black peppercorns ). I used strips of brisket with some fat left on for the first batch ( Traditional ) it was good. This batch is venison done with the pepper medley. It is really good. Its meatier/chewier than most jerky because its actually dried NOT cooked. Its hanging in my hallway. The fact that whole pieces of meat are used instead of ground extruded meat makes it safe to air dry after its been in an acidic liquid.