Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheesecake

Cheesecake

I'm sure this topic will catch some people's attention.

I'm looking to send a gift to someone who LOVES cheesecake. Any of you have a favorite company that ships great cheesecake? I'm looking to find one that tastes better then you will find in a grocery store. I don't eat cheesecake.... Is Cheesecake Factory one I should order from, or is that like comparing a fast food burger to a gourmet burger?
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

If I were going to randomly trust any single deli vendor on the planet, it would be Zabars in NY.

https://www.zabars.com/zabars-double...s/61100XH.html
    https://www.zabars.com/productshow?pid=623I001

I've had cheesecake from CF a few times, the ones I've had were so glopped up with extra candy, sweet sauces and icing they were cloyingly sweet and pretty much inedible. The underlying cheesecake was way too sweet, but not so bad, so perhaps if you can get a plain one it would be OK.

I don't have a great source, I make my mom's recipe when I want cheesecake. Not often these days, given the calorie count of a good cheesecake.

Ricotta pie is a really delicious and somewhat more cardiac-friendly alternative to other cheesecakes. It's what I make now by preference. Mike's Pastry in Boston will mail one anywhere. I don't think it's as good as mine, but pretty good.

Juniors in Brooklyn is supposed to be the best but pricey.

Blog Entries
    My question is, how do you ship a cheesecake without it becoming a big mess by the time it arrives?

Is it possible to arrange for a gift certificate to a cheesecake maker near the person you wish to send one?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Surprisingly, the cheese cakes from BJ's are good. Because my wife doesn't like graham cracker crusts, I make my on with a pastry crust. Have several different recipes, and they all are about the same, and GOOD! Hardest thing about making a cheese cake is accepting the fact that the top is going to split. That's why most are covered in Cherry Pie filling

Blog Entries
    +1 on Juniors. We read that Chuck Shumer has spent thousands over the years shipping Juniors to folks. So about a year and a half ago, when we were in NY, we tried it and really liked it. They have all sorts of weird flavors but we liked just the classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    ....Have several different recipes, and they all are about the same, and GOOD!....
    Ok, now you’ve done it. You are now required by a little-known international law to post your favorite cheesecake recipe. My diet was too successful and I need help adding a few pounds.

JKJ

Thank you for the feedback. I'll avoid CF due to the sweet factor. I know that will be an issue. I am guessing that they ship them with cold packs. I once had seafood delivered with not only dry ice, but styrofoam cooler and a temperature alert device inside the shipping box. Just the other day we received a shipment that had one of these nifty single use cold packs inside to keep the item cool.

I'm going to try to stick with having something delivered. I don't want the person to have to go out and get it.

As for making cheesecake .... you haven't read my tagline.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Now I’m hungry for cheesecake...

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Ok, now you’ve done it. You are now required by a little-known international law to post your favorite cheesecake recipe. My diet was too successful and I need help adding a few pounds.

JKJ

John, saw something this morning I haven't seen in years. Stepped on the scale and saw 2, followed by two zeros, no digits. Back in 1992,I weighed 208, so that isn't so bad. Got up to 238 about seven years ago. Doctors want your chloresterol to be around 200. This means I need to eat several cheeseburgers per day to get it up there.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 03-11-2021 at 8:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I've had cheesecake from CF a few times, the ones I've had were so glopped up with extra candy, sweet sauces and icing they were cloyingly sweet and pretty much inedible. The underlying cheesecake was way too sweet, but not so bad, so perhaps if you can get a plain one it would be OK.
    I find that CF’s low-carb cheesecake is exceptionally good (and not overly sweet, which I’m sensitive to,) especially with whipped cream and sliced toasted almonds. Birthdays and holidays.

How about Zingerman's in Ann Arbor, MI? It is a pastry rather than graham cracker crust, but gets really good reviews from people I know who have had it. Not able to eat dairy I just have to watch and drool.

https://newskete.org/gift-shops

The nuns at New Skete have wonderful cheesecakes.

I'm not a big desert person but the Junior's cherry crumble cheesecake is pretty good.

FYI - Zabar's ones are from Junior's.